Setting up a web server???? I need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raynor, Oct 10, 2006.

1. raynor

raynor Private E-2

Ok I’ve been searching around the forums and can’t seem to find a topic on this. what I want to do is take an old pc and make it into a server and get a basic "Hello World" web site up and running. I am only doing this as a hobby and have no real plans of making a full-blown web site…..yet, or at least not with this set up. The problem is I have many questions and I have no idea where to start.

This is the hardware that I plan to use:

Fresh out of the closet nice and dusty!
    Possessor- Intel 166Mhz
    Mobo- The only thing I could find on there was Dell
    Power sup- 230W
    VGA- Onboard
    Ram- 64MB
    Hard Disk- Barley 2Gigs
    Network/Ethernet card- Coming soon Suggestions are welcome 
    What do I need to upgrade? Please keep it cheap and I am only trying to run the bare minimum of a web page just to get a feel for it. So please only things that I NEED though suggestions are welcome. By bare minimum I mean like some text and the most traffic being maybe 2 comps.

What kind of software do I use?
    This is a clean machine so it doesn’t have to be for a specific OS. I do however have a Windows 95 CD and can install it if needed. But I would like to keep as much space as I can free.

How do I get a domain and all that good stuff?
    And while we are at it how does it work exactly any good web links?

How do I protect myself?
    What kind of anti-virus and firewall do I need for a server? Freeware only please I don’t have much money.

Anything else I should know?
    I am positive that I will have a Million questions later. Maybe you could help me out and answer them
    now.

Thank you in advance for any help.

And please go easy on me if I have no idea what I’m talking about or trying to complete an impossible task…..I’m a newbie

2. raynor

raynor Private E-2

ok for some reason i cant edit my own post >.<

but anyway i got some new hardware

VGA-Matrox Mystique PCI
    RAM-I Made a mistake its actuallly only 32MB
    Network Adapter-3COM Eatherlink III ISA

sorry for the double post but im new here and i cant seem to edit my original post

3. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

with that setup i would go with free BSD. it is a linux operating system. you are going to have a hard time running a web server on that hardware if it is microsoft based

http://www.freebsd.org/

4. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds