USB Flash Drive .. How can I make it write-able?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GeoFan, Jun 12, 2010.

1. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

USB Flash Drive .. How can I make it write-able?

DataStick Pro by Centon

Mac OS X get info shows:

8.02 GB Capacity

241.9 MB on disk (241,872,896 bytes)

Windows NT File System (NTFS) Volume

Sharing and permissions:

You can only read.

---

There is no "read-only" switch on this device.

How can I make it write-able?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Easiest way, don't use the stick on a MAC. The NTFS is a windows read/write file system.

Harder way but then you will lose everything currently on the stick:
    put the stick into a windows computer and use the HP Tool to format it as FAT32. Windows, OSX and Linux can read/write to anything formatted FAT32.
    The HP tool only runs on windows computers. NOTE: before you select format, look at least three times to be absolutely positive you are formatting the stick and not the hard drive in the computer!
    Code:
    http://hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.software.informer.com/download/
    Personal Note: I used this tool within two weeks to format a 4GB stick that became too full (stupidity on my part) and I was not able to move, delete nor erase any files to make the stick usable. I formatted (lost the files) but the stick is now very usable. In fact, i put 4 files on the empty drive last night.

3. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I copied the files from the USB Flash Drive onto the Mac Hard Drive. Then, using Disk Utility, I reformatted the USB drive to Fat32, then restored. A-OKAY now.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

A little late to help with your current problem:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ntfs3g.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds