ISP provider in trusted zone/on LAN?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeekTea, Oct 24, 2004.

1. GeekTea

GeekTea Private E-2

I recently had cable internet access installed and then upgraded to zone alarm pro from the regular. Whenever a new network message came up from Zone Alarm, it would advise me not to put the new address (ISP provider's) in the trusted zone, and yet the original access by the service guy was configured on a LAN in a trusted zone with file sharing enabled. I reran the install disk, and it advised I disable file sharing on the NIC, which I did. When I tried to disable file sharing on the original setup, it disabled my CDROM Drive.

I now have the ISP provider addresses configured as internet (rather than trusted) and file sharing disabled.

There doesn't seem to be a difference in what I can access between the two configurations, but I suspect there is some difference in what the cable company can.

Question: What differences are there between the two configurations?
    I'm running Norton Antivirus, Pest Patrol, Zone Alarm Pro, and AdAware, so I think I'm pretty well protected (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds