Some websites wont load?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sacred, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my Windows XP machine, I can visit some websites but when I try to visit the following (and I'm sure theirs more) the webpages never complete loading.

microsoft.com
    msn.com
    hotmail.com
    google.com
    ask.co.uk
    facebook.com
    gametribe.com
    ebay.co.uk

I'm not sure what to do or what could be the problem with my computer. It was running fine just last week but now I'm having major problems with my internet. The weird thing is that I have several other computers on the same network as my Windows XP machine that has the problem and these computers can access the above websites without any problems.

Looking forward to any advice!

Thanks,
    Sacred

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Check your firewall or browser is not blocking access to these to these specific sites, or any anti-malware apps you have running real-time.

Also, when was the last time you did any malware cleaning/preventative maintenance?

Try using something like CCLeaner to clean your machine and then reboot and re-try accessing those sites once the cache is clean.

3. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

I've had the machine for approx 4-5 years now and have never done any malware preventative measures or ran my computer behind a firewall. (Is it really needed??)

Ran CCleaner but its not made any difference, the above websites still don't load.

:(

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Okaaaayyyy....with that in mind, let's do some malware cleaning first. The link below is everything you will need to get started. When you are done following the instructions, start a new thread in the Malware Forum and post up the attachments as indicated. One of the Authorized Malware Fighters will then be along to read them and advise you :)

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Read & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support[/FONT]

Note: Software firewalls are not always needed, dependent on your set up (router firewall in place) and how you practice safe surfing.

5. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Will do all of that now then get back to you :)

6. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Ok have done all of that and posted all the relevant logs as requested.

During the various scans it didn't find any malware or any problems that required fixing.

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That's hopeful then, but let's get a clean bill of health from our Malware Fighters too :)

Please confirm you checked the browser settings to make sure sites have not been blocked.

8. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Yeah have checked and my browser (IE 7) isn't blocking any websites.

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Have you added them to your trusted sites list?

10. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

No, mainly because the number of websites that doesn't load amounts to around 1/2 of the websites I try and visit.

Should I try this anyway?

**EDIT**

Have tried this with google.com and it makes no difference the webpage still doesn't load.

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You could try one just to prove a point (or disprove as I think will be the case, but this is now a process of elimination).

Also get another browser, like Firefox, and see if you have the same issue, out of interest, as I think this might be a browser issue.

Also ping one of the sites you are having issues with and see if it resolves.

Have you installed any new software recently, especially a Download Accelerator? If so uninstall and see if that helps.

Have you ever had Zonealarm installed but now removed?

Try these things one at a time and then test so you will know if it improves what helped.

12. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Ok my ping to google is as follows:

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=242
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=137ms TTL=242
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=242
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received =4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 135ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 137ms

Nope not downloaded any new software, last thing I installed was my Belkin N1 Wireless Network Adapter.

And no never had zonealarm installed on my computer.

Trying firefox 3 now.

***EDIT***

Ok got firefox 3 installed, it fails to load both of its start pages (network timeout) and wont load google etc as listed above (came up saying it could find www.google.com and asks me to ensure the domain exists) . I installed firefox using the standard settings and chose to import nothing from IE.

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What are you using to share the internet between the machines? That which is built in to XP? It could be the problem.....you could try using another sharing software to prove this isn't the problem.

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Has the problem been occurring only since the Belkin was installed? Or before, or substantial time after installation?

15. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

My internet is shared through a Belkin N1 Vision modem router (bought just the other week along with the Belkin N1 Network Adapter).
    The problem with the internet occurred before the purchase of the new router and the new network card as I believed this to be the problem.

I'm currently accessing the exact same network using my Macbook Pro and its able to load google, microsoft and any other website I choose. As is my Mums Windows XP laptop which she uses for work.

It was before the new installation.

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Sorry - my bad. I meant what software are you using to share, if any. You could also try another hardware solution if this is available to you cheaply/free.

If FF does the same as IE, it has to be something restricted to this one PC....unless I am completely missing something here?

17. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

I'm not exactly sure what you mean what software I'm using to share?

I'm guessing its not browser related either, am totally stumped :confused

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

19. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

As far as I know I don't use anything like that.

My internet is as follows:

[[[Phone Socket]]]
    |
    {Filter}
    |
    ((Belkin N1 Router))
    |
    / | \ \
    [C1 XP Desktop] [C2 (Macbook)] [C3 XP Laptop] [C4 (iMac)]

(all wireless connections)

20. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I guess your version of IE could have become corrupt. You might want to run the repair tool through the Add/remove programs utility.

21. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

It didn't have a repair option instead it removed it and reverted back to IE 6 which is what was installed by my Windows XP SP2 CD.
    This version of IE still has the same problem of not being able to load any microsoft websites, google, apple.com and the others as listed above.

:cry why didn't I just get all Macs!!

22. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

23. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

24. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

So unless anyone comes up with something, I am thinking hardware or malware.....we should here back on the malware diagnosis just as soon as they get to your post (they do them in date/time order).

I am disappointed that I have not been able to resolve this for you so far.

25. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

If it makes any difference I'm able to access websites like google.com etc if I use a proxy website such as: http://aniscartujo.com/webproxy/ although they do load very slowly (possibly due to the bandwidth restrictions on these types of websites?)

Heres hoping someone can see if theirs anything wrong with my computer i.e malware :major

***EDIT***

Think I spoke too soon, now I cant get proxy websites to load =/

26. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Make sure under Options on the Connections tab you do not have any proxies set. (You could actually go through all these tabs resetting to default to see maybe something got ultra-tweaked).

27. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Will have to check that in the morning, didn't realise it was so late.

Thanks for all of your help so far! Hopefully get this fixed tomorrow :)

/Sacred :zzz

28. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Might want to double check the hosts file as well.

29. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Ok no proxies were set and I've restored IE back to the default settings.

Not sure what this means?

I'm unable to connect to the internet at all with the affected computer now, it finds my network but can never get it to connect to it. Windows tried to repair the problem but came back with an error saying it couldn't renew my IP address.

Most annoying error message from windows:

"For assistance, contact the person who manages your network"

Its like their stabbing you with a knife then just twisting it that little bit extra at the end! :flip

30. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Disregard the last thing I said about not being able to get the affected computer on the internet, was just me being silly :eek:

31. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Any other ideas?

32. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Check all the network connections and shut off the power at the router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Worth a shot.

33. Sacred

Sacred Private E-2

Nope still unable to connect to some websites :cry

I've searched the internet and can't find anyone whos found a solution to this problem and it seems to be fairly widespread.

Tried formatting my computer and it makes no difference either :confused

Unfortunately I'm moving houses tomorrow, and won't have access to the internet for some time. So looks like I'll not get to solve this problem.

34. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

When you set up that router, did you configure it at all or is it at the default settings? I still suspect there is some communication error with the router. Perhaps you can reset it to default settings. Is there a way you can plug the offending PC directly to your internet connection to see if it works without the router?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds