Ethernet controller driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by billandhelen, Nov 16, 2008.

1. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

Hi everyone from the latest newbie!

My problem is that my ethernet controller is shown as an unknown device and I can't find a driver to make it work.

I formatted the HD because I thought I had a virus..Windows XP loaded fine and all is OK except for this ethernet problem. Without internet access, I am stuck (so I am using a laptop for this post).

I have a Nvidia nforce3 250 motherboard which includes the ethernet contoller. The utilities CD is not working properly so I downloaded drivers from the Nvidia site, however, I can't find a driver that makes the ethernet port work. It is shown as an unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark.

My USB ports work, so I thought I'd try using an adapter so I can plug the RJ45 cable into a USB. It's a cheap purchase off Ebay so I will give it a try when it arrives in a couple of days. I am thinking that if I can only get onto the internet, all my problems will end as I can automatically find drivers etc.

Any advice would be very welcome:confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The nForce drivers from Nvidia should include your network drivers, but lets try something different, and get the drivers from the maker of your PC or motherboard, so if your PC is a bought one from one of the OEMs like DELL, HP, SONY etc then please post makers name and the PCs model varient.

If its a custom or home build then please post the make and model varient of the motherboard as in say ASUS P5W64 WS Pro

Reasoning behind going for the motherboard or PC makers original drivers is the new unified versions if thats what you tried may or may not work ok, and IIRC most of them need your Windows XP to be at least at SP1 or above.

Another thing to check is in your BIOS make sure than ethernet is enabled, if it was working before the re-install of XP then should be no reason for it to be disabled, but worth a check,

Is that the only yellow ! mark in Device Manager and what is listed in the section Network Adapters?

3. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

Hallo Halo :)

Thank you for the response...

Checked BIOS..I'm no expert but I think it is OK (says Onboard LAN Control is enabled)

There are no other yellow question marks for unknown devices.

My motherboard is a K8 Triton series GA-K8NSC-939.
    nForce3 250Gb chipset.

(details taken from the manual)

4. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

Halo

Just Googled the motherboard details and downloaded the driver.
    Sadly, this does not solve the problem.

Windows XP asks me for the disc for the ethernet controller, but doesn't seem to find what it needs on the disc I created.

Any other ideas?

5. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

Halo and anyone else,

I appear to be back to square one.

Last Thursday, my PC would not start. I thought I had a virus so I formatted the HD completely using an autoclave floppy.

All loaded back up OK and apart from the ethernet connection problem, the PC seemed back to normal.

My son has just tried loading his Creative Zen package (like an Ipod),,when finished the computer had to restart, but now it won't start again.

Tried booting from WinXP disc, starting in safe mode etc etc, but end up with a black screen.

So annoyed after wasting 3 x days formatting, loading software and trying to resolve the ethernet issue.

Does this sound like a virus or a hardware problem?:cry:cry

6. DavidGP

Hi

Best to try and resolve any onboard hardware driver issues before adding other hardware items liek the Zen, just I find it easier to make sure that something else is not causing this.

If a new clean install and before you went on the internet you installed Antivirus, Firewall, then did Windows update to get you to at least SP2/3 then unless you had been using a CD/DVD or USB pen that had an application that was malware infestated then not normally malware or hardware and driver.

What version is your original XP CD? is it RTM, SP1, SP2 or a System Restore OEM disk like from DELL, HP etc? ......... Just thinking of an alternative way to install and get you to at least SP2 right off the bat as if your XP is not an OEM restore disk but a retail one then we can do what they call slipstreaming and merge your XP with one of the Service Packs, I know its a PITB to reinstall again but at times may have especailly if its not booting into Safe Mode. Will put slipstream instuctions at bottom if you fancy going this route.

But 1st looking now at Gigabytes driver list, you may need to install not only the Chipset nForce3 driver but the Marvell LAN driver, to also gain a stable system if your hard drives are SATA/IDE need to also install this one.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1881

So do Chipset > SATA/IDE > LAN > Audio > USB in that order, if asked to reboot do so.

If you run a RAID Array then different approach, but if you say to me huh whats RAID then we need not go that direction as its likely you on using RAID

*slipstream*

The versions of XP Service Packs have changed over the years and if your PC was ok with Service Pack 3 then get the version of the network installer posted below, if it was more happy in SP2 then I will post the download ink for that too, but the images are for SP2 so supbsitute the downloaded files name for the SP2 one in the image as I dont have them on my PS anymore.

get Autostreamer http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4444.html and install this, as it makes the job of slipstreaming very easy, you will need a valid XP SP1 cd as in the original, an OEM restore CD will not work.

Then Download the XP Sp3 Network install files SP3 Network Install File for XP ( only get from this source to be sure its 100% real, dont get from any unknown sites ) SP2 Network installer files for XP
    Once Autostreamer run, choose "I want to use my original CD" pop your XP SP1 disk in the drive and click Next > you will see the below,

[​IMG]

E: is where CD drive XP original disk is in, then click the Magnifying Glass icon at the end of the Service Pack File line and browse for the location of where you downloaded WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Leave the temp folder as is and click NEXT and any other prompts shown, then you will end up with a merged XP SP1 (or which ever version you have ) and SP2/3 ISO file, as below. Note the location of the TARGET ISO file as we will need this later.

[​IMG]

Click Finish.

You will then need to burn the ISO file to CD, IMGBurn ( Free ) burning app, I really do prefer IMGBurn these days for burning ISO disks.

To burn an ISO with IMGBurn, just install the app and run, at the first box click Write Image file to Disk, then on next screen as below, click browse for file as circled in green and locate where the TARGET ISO file in and once found click the WRITE area circled in Blue

[​IMG]

Then click Burn disk and at end you should hopefully have a slipstreamed XP SP3/2 CD, when installing do remember to click F6 at the very start of the install when notified on the bottom line of the install screen and pop in your SATA floppy driver and follow prompts, once XP is installed install Chipset > LAN and Audio > USB drivers, hopefull pre downloaded earlier, check to see if you have any Yellow ! marks in Device Manager and then if so post what they are even if they dont say unknown device, any could be a possible cause, as some drivers need to be installed before others.

Then if ok or wanting to get onto the net to troubleshoot if possible with this PC, install Antivirus and Firewall update these apps.

I hope I got this to a readable point, but just if the PC is booting ok, install the Marvell LAN driver and see how you go, rather not put you through all the above if thats the missing driver as in many cases the Nvidia chipset should do it, but Gigabyte must have decided to use Marvells LAN ethernet chip and driver.

7. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

Thanks Halo

I have Win XP version 2002 and the disc includes SP2.

I don't think I have RAID (whatever that is!)..so you guessed right there..

I'll work through these suggestions over the next few days and let you know how I got on.

Your help is much appreciated.:)

8. DavidGP

Hi

if you get stuck at any part I suggest stop and then mention it and we can diagnose it at that point over going too further in and adding any conflicts.

No probs, just wish it was one of those moments I could beam your PC to me or me to PC as hands on can work wonders or quicker than text on a page, but feel that its a combination of nForce and marvell lan driver.

9. billandhelen

billandhelen Private E-2

:-DHappy days,

I just had a final go at using the windows disc to recover and, when it failed again, I reinstalled windows.

The first thing I did then was use the NVidia drivers disc (which previously had failed to work) and it loaded up fine.

This meant the ethernet connection was working and I was immediately able to update windows etc. All software is loading up OK now.

My fingers are crossed, but I wonder whether my mistake was the order in which I was loading things on after the reinstallation. Perhaps my Nvidia drivers were being blocked by firewall or something?

I admit I had all the hardware plugged in when I reinstalled and just randomly worked my way through the pile of drivers and software discs, loading them on anyhow.

In any case, I am very grateful for Halo's advice and support.

10. DavidGP

Hi Billandhelen

Superb news, glad all is going ok now... happy days indeed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds