file too large message when moving to flash drive message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmhjcr, May 5, 2012.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello,
    I have an empty 32GB flash drive (that when you click on properties it states that there is 31.1GB of available space on it) that I am trying to use to move a 25.5GB in size. The file is a backup of the C & D partitions of my hard drive that was created with Acronis. When I click to copy the 25.5gb file to the flash drive I get a message that states "File too Large" the file is too large for the destination file system. I also tried just moving the file to the flash drive with the same results. Why if the flash drive has 31.1GB of available space on it won't it allow me to move a 25.5GB file to it. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, the flash drive is SanDisk and the file is on an external hard drive.
    Any assistance would be Greatly Appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If the flash drive is formatted FAT32, the largest file that can be copied to it is 4GB. You will need to format the flash drive to NTFS in order to copy your file.

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Your SanDisk is probably formatted with the FAT32 file system instead of NTFS. As I recall, FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB.

Edit:

Oops, sorry Tgell

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have done the same thing more times than I can count. :) I wish the board would notify that a reply has already been posted if you press the submit button like on some boards. I have to keep reminding myself to refresh before I submit reply.

5. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Thanks for that information. I didn't realize that. I will have to see about formatting the flash drive to the ntfs format.

Here's another question then... I set up acronis to run a backup this evening and put that backup on a different 64gb flash drive that is also formatted to fat - am I correct in thinking that I need to reformat that drive to ntfs first as well?

Thanks Again

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes. A single file is limited to 4gb for FAT32.

I think you will end up with an error before the file is completed.

You could possibly format it to exFAT which allows a larger file size but that format never really took off so some XP and pre-SP1 Vista systems wouldn't be able to read it. I think NTFS would be more universal.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No, Acronis knows enough to split the image into chunks just below the 4GB threshold. I save some of my images to an external hd that is FAT32 formatted and I never had a problem using Acronis to do it.

8. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Thanks for all the help. I did go ahead and convert that flash drive to NTFS prior to doing the backup - just to be on the safe side.

Again, Thanks for All the assistance!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds