Programs disabling competing freeware programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Corporal Jarhead, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Corporal Jarhead

Corporal Jarhead Private First Class

OK, check this out. I have run regscrub for some time now and when I use it, it always worked flawlessly. Out of curiosity I downloaded a program called Error Fixer thinking it would be helpful for a system problem earlier, that I had never actually installed, so i installed it. I ran it and realized it did pretty much the same thing as RegScrubXP only not as well. I then ran my RegScrub program, and picked up a whole bunch more of stuff that Error Fixer didn't, the only think was that the display of the finds and fix were disabled and I couldn't clean it up.

I uninstalled the Error Fixer Program, (a SAMPLE copy with a three scan limit that you would have to buy once you had run out of scans), and then Reinstalled RegScrubXP right over the disabled installation, and took care of the rest of the fixes.

Anyone else have this same thing happen? :rolleyes:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yes a common occurance with diffeerent apps, some scan deeper that others thus pick up much more junk registry entries..... eg. If I run Regcleaner and RegSupreme, RegSupreme picks up many more useless entries than Regcleaner BUT Regcleaner gest some that RegSupereme misses... moral is maybe two cleaners are better than one?

3. Corporal Jarhead

Oh, I understand that, My friend, that some programs are not the equivalant of others, and sometimes it does pay to have more than one of the same type, but what I was refering to was the fact that Error Fixer DISABLED my freeware RegScrub program and it is a buy it if you want to keep it deal. Very unethical and just not COOL!

Don't download it if you have any programs of that type you are using, because it may disable them. Have you seen that before? :mad:

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Yes that is definitely UNETHICAL for a competing company to intentionally disable the competitions programs. I would report that to the makers of RegScrub that Error Fixer disabled their program upon install. Lavasoft had that problem at one time, some companies who had spyware in their apps would completely uninstall Ad-Aware without the users knowledge. I believe Lavasoft was successful when they pursued the matter in the legal system.

5. Corporal Jarhead

OK, SPD, did exactly that. Tried to find the Contact us section at lexun, no such animal, their website is "under construction". Seems, however, that Softpedia is the parent company now of Lexun so left a message with them. Hope they sue them. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds