flooded applications discs

Discussion in 'Software' started by tkjdnow, Oct 14, 2007.

1. tkjdnow

tkjdnow Private E-2

I lost all of my program application cds in Katrina. Is there any way to clone my laptop so that I can back up the old applications like MS Office and Photoshop?

I also lost the recovery CDs. Is there any way to transfer everything to an external hard drive so that if this laptop crashes, I can re-install my programs on this or another machine?

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Is there any way to clone my laptop so that I can back up the old applications like MS Office and Photoshop? I also lost the recovery CDs. Is there any way to transfer everything to an external hard drive so that if this laptop crashes, I can re-install my programs on this or another machine? tkjdnow

I know for a fact that Microsoft Office (and I’m pretty sure that Adobe Photoshop) cannot be "saved" or copied to another drive and used again. They can only be reinstalled. These companies purposely do this to deter piracy.

This is also true for just about all of the major shareware programs, although sometimes the shareware programs can be reinstalled using a downloadable .exe file which can be obtained from the software developer's website and then adding the product's license key or code that you received when you originally bought the software.

Since Katrina touched ground over two years ago (on August 29, 2005) I seriously doubt that either Microsoft or Adobe will help you out here; however it wouldn't hurt to give them both a call or contact them online. When you contact them make sure that you have the receipt handy, so that you can prove they were legally obtained.

Official Support Contact Links:
    Contact Microsoft | Contact Adobe

As for your computer's "recovery CDs" you should definitely try contacting the computer's manufacturer (i.e. Dell, Compaq or E-machines etc.). I'll give you an example: Last year I bought a refurbished Dell on eBay and it did not come with the recovery Win XP Professional CD, drivers, etc. so for the heck of it I contacted Dell and was surprised when they actually agreed to send me the CDs. They didn’t even charge for shipping!

Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds