Undoing HP System Recovery Process!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by DumbBrunette, Jul 6, 2008.

1. DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette Private E-2

:cry Someone....... Anyone...... H E L P ??? I did a very bad thing. I"m not the first, as I've come to discover, but nonetheless, I'm in a pickle. Nutshell: I ran "system recovery" on my windows xp, which returned the computer to factory settings. ALL my files (docs, pics, videos, music, etc) were deleted, or sent to the twilight zone. This wasn't a windows system restore. :cry

Does anyone know how to reverse the system recovery, short of contacting the FBI or government?!?!? I can't imagine that there is NO WAY on Earth that this cannot be remedied, even if it's an involved process. If there is a way, PLEASE, do tell. I'll try it.

FYI, I've attempted to use IOLO Search & Recovery software. It found 13,000 deleted files, but it wasn't all that was missing.

Thank you in advance,

DB :(

2. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

You didn't say if you did a destructive or non destructive recovery.
    I had the same issue once long ago.

IF you did a non destructive recovery your stuff is still there.

ISSUE:
    When a user creates multiple accounts and saves information onto each account, the information is stored under that account name. If a non-destructive system recovery is then run on the system, the customer cannot access the necessary files of the account, although the files are stored in each account.
    SOLUTION:
    In order to resolve this issue we need to change the security privileges of the folder to enable access to each of the folders. Follow these steps to gain access to the folders:

Restart the computer into Safe Mode.
    a.
    Shut down the computer.
    b.
    Power on, and when the blue HP Invent or Compaq screen appears, keep tapping F8 . This displays the Windows Advanced Options Menu .
    c.
    Use the arrow keys to move up to Safe Mode and press Enter .
    d.
    Press Enter on Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition .
    Click Administrator and, if applicable, enter the password and press Enter .
    A window will appear asking you for confirmation of keeping in Safe Mode . Click Yes .
    Click Start and My Computer . Then, double-click the main hard drive ( C: ) and Documents and Settings .
    Right-click the folder name of the user account and click Properties .
    Click Security .
    Click Advanced .
    Click Owner (see Figure 1 arrow 1).
    Place a check mark in Replace owner on subcontainers and objects (see Figure 1 arrow 2).
    Figure 1: Advanced Security Settings
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00013087.jpg
    Click Apply .
    Click Yes to the security message.
    Click OK .
    Click OK again.
    Restart the computer and access will be granted to all folders of the user accounts.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Dam Time Limit.
    The above is a Shameless Cut and Paste from HP Customer Care.
    credit where due yadda yadda...
    Hope it helps.

4. PC12Cowboy

PC12Cowboy Private E-2

okay got to the admin but it is taking all day to load the settings..is this normal?/ was not asked for a password

5. yeomanrycavalry

yeomanrycavalry Private E-2

Poor soul. Luckily you live in West Los Angeles and can go to iolo's corporate headquarters to smack the idiots in the head who developed what is actually malware. This should be a warning to everybody who owns Vista. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT purchase iolo software (especially their System Mechanic Pro software). I have just recently bought the 7.0 version and updated it online to 8.0, upon reboot it gave me three options and NONE of the options worked. The reboot #3 option kept me in a vicious loop rebooting the system. The number 2 options allegedly was going to fix my issue and it did not. It destroyed my boot sector and corrupted it stating and now I am unable to get into the notebook. iolo software just made my $1,099.99 HP Pavilion Notebook into a paperweight!!! Also, do not bother attempting to call the alleged 24 hour help as there is NONE! Just website access to make a ticket and they will get back to you after the holidays or during business hours. This company lies and destroys the Windows Vista Operating System. I've been burned twice by this company's System Mechanic software. The first time was about a year ago. Thinking that it would improve since it was the Pro version allegedly improved. All it did was ruin my system software and now I can't use it!! I'll be contacting the Better Business Bureau about this company's deceptive practice of falsely advertising 24 hour support.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds