Help with Compaq Presario Driver......

Discussion in 'Software' started by mommalumps, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mommalumps

mommalumps Private E-2

I purchased a Compaq Presario about 3 years ago and I could play videos, CD's, and all was well. About 4 months ago, I tried to burn a CD and the drive would not recognize it. I placed a DVD in the drive, no play. I have textbooks with CD-ROM's accompaning the book, they will not play. Will I need to purchase a new hard drive. I am a student nurse and my first computer game was "Pong" back in '81, so be patient with me. Please help, Yall.. Thanks in advance.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    First, what version of Windows are you running? If you open My Computer, are the CD drives listed with the appropriate drive letters? If you leave My Computer open, and pop in a CD, what exactly happens? Any error messages or messages of any kind? Do the CD icons (if present) change when a CD/DVD is inserted? If you go to the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager) what is listed under "CD/DVD-ROM Drives"? You can try using the steps and the fix suggested in this thread if your drives aren't showing up in "My Computer"....

[dlb]

3. mommalumps

mommalumps Private E-2

Thanks dlb:),
    I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I turned on the computer and it read Windows XP. I did the Control activity and under DVD/CD-ROM Drives it read: HL-DT-STDVDRRW GCA-4164B. When I popped an audio and then a DVD, both times a tiny CD appeared and goes to "Files Ready To Be Written To CD" with icons . The icons are "New Folder" (nothing in it), "Adobe Reader 8" and "Windows Media Player". When I go to "Windows Media Player" I press play and I get some "internet stuff" that my male family members enjoy.:-o I thought that the movie or CD would play.. but no.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When you put in a CD, and it 'auto' opens (or just open My Computer and double click the CD/DVD drive), look to the top left and click "Delete temporary files". This will not actually delete anything, but it removes the stuff that's 'in line' to be burned to a CD. Somebody either started the CD burning process (maybe accidentally) and then bailed out, or the PC 'thinks' that somebody started the CD burning process. Click the "Delete temporary files" and say "yes" to any warnings. Then restart the PC. That should take care of the problem >fingers crossed<.

(screen shot attached for reference)

Attached Files:

5. mommalumps

mommalumps Private E-2

Hi dlb,
    I deleted the files that you told me; thanks for the picture referrence. I tried to play a CD and it still wouldn't play. It still says that there is nothing in the drive when I try to burn a CD (when I use Windows Media Player. When I deleted the files, I noticed that it read "DVD-RW Drive (E:); is this okay?

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup. That's OK. That is what it's supposed to say. Go to the Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager) and click the little plus sign next to "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Then right click the drive listed under that. Select "Uninstall". Then close the Device Manager and restart the PC; be sure no discs are in the drive (I guess it doesn't hurt if anything is in the drive, but lets be thorough). After the PC has restarted, wait 2-3 minutes until Windows has completely loaded to the desktop. Then insert a 'factory' or store-bought CD. If it doesn't come up automatically (sometimes this can take up to 60seconds), then open My Computer and see what it says for drive E:. Double click it. Did the disc load? Can you see the disc contents?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds