Port Scan Blocked - Same IP keeps port scanning me

Discussion in 'Software' started by indigit4l, Nov 16, 2009.

1. indigit4l

indigit4l Private E-2

So I use Bitdefender (2010 right now) and ever since I have it has protected me from "Port Scans", alerting me that is has blocked one.

In the last couple of days, almost 4 times an hour I get alerted that an address 41.254.0.256 has been blocked from attempting a port scan on me. Google has turned up nothing at all. (update) I just used a whois service.

http://cqcounter.com/whois/

Wow, apparently it's out of Libyan. I can't imagine there's anything from there I would want port scanning my computer. What should I do security wise? Any idea who/what this is? Thanks I realize this isn't a malware removal question, but it's the closest category I think. Thank you

2. indigit4l

indigit4l Private E-2

This one is doing it also. I have emailed the provider in Libya and called the one I just mentioned and reported the abuse. If I set my firewall to block all inbound attempts from these IP's, that the best thing to do right?

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Hi there :)

Port scanning happens all the time, you're not being targeted specifically, but rather ranges of addresses. This is why we use a firewall. Some firewalls report excessively about the port scanning, others stay quiet about it. I am not myself familiar with Bit Defender but perhaps there is an option where you are able to calm down the alerts. I will move your thread to software where others who are familiar with the software could advise you on this more than I can.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The best thing to do is turn off the alerts. ;)
    Bots are out there auto-scanning constantly for any unpatched computer. You will make yourself nuts worrying about every alert describing what the firewall has blocked.

5. indigit4l

indigit4l Private E-2

Sure, thanks. It's just when it's every two minutes for a solid day or two you start thinking about what else you can do about it. Ok issue solved thread may be closed

6. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Glad you're sorted :) Thread will remain open for other's benefits.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I understand this may be a closed matter, but this is what the second IP address resolves to after some digging:

http://embarqservices.net/ Familiar? If not, perhaps its an ad on a webpage triggering the alert.

The first IP address is not valid.

256 is simply not possible for the last number.

8. indigit4l

indigit4l Private E-2

It was x.x.x.246

Yes I contacted embarq and let them know what was happening. I don't expect them to do anything but you gotta try.

So I leave a lot of tabs open in Firefox, so it was probably coming from an ad on one of the sites?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds