Internet Disconnect While Downloading WOW

Discussion in 'Software' started by pacfreak, May 2, 2012.

1. pacfreak

pacfreak Private E-2

Hi there! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since I have no idea the cause and it has to do with a game, I'm hoping it is!

I'm reinstalling WOW after having not played it for several months. Naturally, as when downloading anything that has previously been on your computer, the installation went extremely fast.

After it installed, it went to the launcher, and was "downloading update tools." It got about 1/6th of the way through, at which point my internet disconnected. I waited a couple minutes to see if it would come back on, and then restarted the launcher. As soon as I closed it, the internet came back on. When I brought it back up, it downloaded to the same place, and then my internet wonked out again.

This has happened several times through the night. I've tried to download it a lot of times today. I'm on a local area connection. My Windows Vista internet screen has a globe (the internet) with a line connecting to the network, with a line to my computer. From looking at that, it's the "line" between the internet and my network that is getting disconnected. It is also disconnecting the two other computers on local area connections on my network. I'm not sure about the wireless.

I've searched through all the WOW forums, and forums here, and I don't see anything like this happening to anyone else. I've tried the WOW fixes (setting my LAN settings, removing my cache, starting for wow.exe, unenabling peer to peer) and tried restarting my router, none of it worked.

I'm at a loss as to what's causing this, as it's never happened before with WOW, nor any other download, including other high-memory games.

Thank you so much for reading this!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Very weird and I have not heard similar from other users, I could speculate that installing the game afresh and he large updates that would ensue could all but take up all of your bandwidth, thus making any surfing or downloading of other apps, all but crawl.

I would and this is not likely the cause of your issues but worth a run through in running our malware guide HERE and see if it picks up anything.

If two other PCs are being disconnected then its unlikely to be a Windows OS problem but one of your ISP and its worth seeing if they have fair usage caps, this is when large downloads exceed your monthly cap on MB download or if you use p2p then they may block those ports.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds