Lost System volume information

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord_Foul, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Lord_Foul

Lord_Foul Private E-2

I scanned through about 10 pages of this to make sure I wasn't repeating someone, But, No, I seem to be the only one with this problem! O.K., due to a power failure, My machine couldn't save (or find, I'm not sure exactly what happened!) the system volume information on one of my drives. It was a secondary drive, not the main, (actually it is the sacondary slave drive, if that might matter!) when I booted the computer back up, a 60 GB drive that was partitioned into 2 30 Gig drives now suddenly thinks it's a brand new 60 GB drive that wants to be formatted before windows will touch it!!!!! My question is, Is there any way to save the information on the drives, It has a lot of things I can't replace and I will be Heartbroken if it's lost like I think it is. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!!

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yes, you can recover the data. Check the data recovery downloads here at Major Geeks. If you don't mind spending some dough, check out Easy Recovery Pro... it works great and is EASY to use. Here's a link to a great piece of freeware: http://pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm I've used PCInspector numerous times. It's a tad slow, but it works, and it's free ;)

hopperdave2000

3. Lord_Foul

Lord_Foul Private E-2

K, I got back the info off one of the two partitions but the other seems lost :cry That's better than I was afraid I'd get though, so Thank You!!! so verry, verry, verry much for the advice, I was about to Format the drive and give up.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

How or what did you use to save the data? I'm sure other 'geeks' out there would like to know! ;)

5. Lord_Foul

Lord_Foul Private E-2

Oh, Yeah, sorry... Well, PC Inspector found the Second drives files whole and intact, it was the first drive that ended up being corrupted. I wasn't able to recover anything but garbled bits of it. I'm still not exactly sure what happened to cause the problem in the first place, but the Primary partition was just destroyed! The second partitions files, PC Inspector found. Almost 70 movie files (.avi, and .mpeg mostly) saved with only 2 of them coming out corrupt. All in all, an excellent program for data recovery, all the others I had tried wouldn't touch it because it had no file system. (The whole problem in the first place!!) Thanx again for the advice, sorry my first reply didn't explain more, I'm dense sometimes ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds