System Volume Information

Discussion in 'Software' started by solete, Dec 11, 2004.

1. solete

solete Private E-2

Just installed a 2nd hard drive as a slave and I accidentally copied a bunch of files from the 1st one to the System Volume Information folder on the 2nd.

To delete these files and put them elsewhere, I have run the

cacls "G:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F and press ENTER

routine in CMD and get

"Are you sure (Y/N)?"

even with "Y", I get "Access Denied."

Any hints? Safe mode a sure bet? I have Win XP Home, master hard disk FAT32, and new slave hard disk NTFS.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It may be that the FAT 32 and NTFS file systems on the different drive aren't compatible. From the best of my knowledge, FAT 32 systems/drives can't write to NTFS formatted volumes or partitions. An option may be to convert your master hard drive to the NTFS file system, or to convert your slave drive to the FAT 32 system. I'm sure that there will be more members join the thread to give advice. :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As Novice says, either make both FAT32, or both NTFS.

If there is not too much on your slave drive, why not start all over again on that drive, if you want to keep one as FAT32 and slave as NTFS. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds