Mouse just stopped dragging dropping files

Discussion in 'Software' started by NEWTOSATANEEDHELPWITHSATA, Mar 9, 2012.

1. My mouse will not let me drag drop files from My Computer folders now. It will not let me "pick them up" you know when you left click and start to drag, that does not happen. It is not the mouse, this I know, because I have a second mouse and tried it. Everything else seems fine. I am using Windows XP. Please help. :-o:confused

2. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Does ctrl-click-drag and shft-click-drag not work either?

Has it been a while since you rebooted?

Try plugging the mouse into a different port. If it's a port problem it might affect another mouse the same way.

3. CTRL CLICK drag and SHIFT CLICK drag do not work, but I can still highlight and multi-highlight by clicking and moving to select more than one files. Problem is, is of course does not move them at all, just does the highlighting. This is a plug in mouse, non USB that is plugged in and a wireless mouse that is USB. I tried unplugging the mouse from the mouse port and now it seems the mouse no longer works at all. It still lights up red though. My wireless mouse still works and my original problem is not solved.

This seemed to happen right after a reboot.

4. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

OK, I get what you're saying.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any problems there with ports or mice?

What if you click-drag across some text, say in the window you're reading now? Does doing that highlight the text? If not, it's definitely the mouse not tracking properly or not communicating its movements properly with the port.

5. For example this text, text in notepad or the general web? Yes, this text highlights fine. Also it tells me both mice are working properly.

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try the Drag and Drop reg fix. Make sure you get the one for XP. Unzip the file and double click the dragndropx.reg file in an admin account. Create a restore point before you do this. Good Luck.

http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm

7. I have not tried the reg fix yet, but I am going to see what happens after a reboot real soon. Also, would you like to know something real weird? When I open a second My Computer and have two My Computers open the second one allows me to drag drop any files. How weird is that? Another side note, the desktop has always allowed me to drag drop files too. Does this new information help at all?

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would definitely hold off on the reg fix if you can drag and drop in certain cases. But, I would not hazard a guess as to why this is happening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds