windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by see3ducks, Sep 26, 2006.

1. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

When attempint to install Symantec Coporate Edition ver 10 from a server I have gotten the following message -- windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. The computers this happens to are running Windows XP Home Edition. However, other computers running the same operating system have no problems. I am logged in as Administrator for what it's worth.
    Thanks...

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you mapped the drive to the server?

3. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

yep & it works fine "except" on two computers

4. TimW

You can open the symnatic folder on the server? Then you hit the install for the client and that's when you get the message?

5. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

Actually, things 'look' well after clicking on the install. It is during the installation that this message pops up. It is referring to lsetup.exe which I have never heard of. But as I said, this only happens on two computers. I have checked the registry regarding permissions as well as folders on the pc etc.

6. TimW

7. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

I don't understand.... What does live update have to do with a Windows XP access oproblem? This configuration works with Windows XP Pro, XP Home, Win 2000, etc. It is just that it does not work on two of many computers.
    Thanks

8. TimW

Not a clue as to why ....you could do a sfc /scannow on those two and see if that helps ......can you install the stand alone client on those two?

9. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

cannot install via a server as a standalone virus scanner :confused:

10. TimW

I meant ...can you install the client software off the disk on the two machines?

11. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

Oh.... sorry... I don't have the original CD's and now idea as to where they went - bummer huh?

12. TimW

Well, that would indicate that it's not coming from the server and is an issue with those two puters ....two suggestions ...get you os cd ...
    start / run / type "sfc /scannow" without qoutes and be ready to put cd in drive

if that doesn't work ...maybe a repair install?

Then see if they will install as clients.

13. see3ducks

see3ducks Private E-2

I tried scf /scannow and got nothing from two comuters - grrrrr. I guess it is time to look at a complete reinstall.
    Thanks!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds