crossing the country.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Ann, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

I'm about to drive across the country, I think I need one of these...

Project Black Box

okay...

I guess I don't need quite that much.

Maybe just a laptop.

I am taking the trip tho to meet my hubby in LA.

If anyone has suggestions let me know, here's my rough itinerary:

-Savannah
    -Atlanta
    -Biloxi
    -Houston
    -Austin
    -El Paso
    -Tucson
    -Las Vegas
    -Las Angeles

Thanks!

Heather

2. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

if you have time, avoid the interstate and the big cities and travel on the other main roads. although the interstate is the easiest, quickest way of getting from a - b, you see nothing but motorways and neon signs. get a very good map. make sure you have 'emergency' stuff, which depending on the states you are traveling through might include blankets and snow chains to water in case you get stuck in a desert. when i did it i had plenty of time and no itinerary. i was totally unprepared for any emergency, had no idea what kind of animals etc. posed a real threat, and basically wondered across America in ignorant bliss. i had a wonderful time. much aloha.

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Carry some spare gas with you. Flashlight, and check that you have everything and know how to change a tire, in case of a flat in a remote area. Wheel nuts are hard to remove...have a torque wrench or long piece of scaffold tube that you can get leverage on to loosen them. Carry spare water enough for an overheating engine.

4. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

morning lev. and how are you this fine and sunny day? :)

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Good luck heather on your crusade...remember, never drive with your lappy on your lappy. lol!

And Lev's advice is well worth preparing before you depart!!

Your hubby is a lucky man

Regards...

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Hey Laurie...you sound nice and upbeat :) Wanna meet for a coffee and I'll tell you all about my day ;) Hawaii sounds a wonderful place to be right now...earthquake or no earthquake :) Just chilling on the Beach with a bottle of Bud :p ....and a muffin :D

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

funny you should say that . ive just pored my second cup. goooooood coffee. kona coffee. you must have smelled it. yes im fine. and hawaii is beautiful. maybe they should change the tourist brochours to read 'hawaii...the aventure island.....not for the faint hearted..come and expereince the only place on earth to have all four natural disasters.' lol what do you think? do you want to start a new thread? or just hijack this one? do you take milk and sugar?

8. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

mmm... milk, one sugar please.

Boy, I need to figure out how to get Hawaii on my list!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Lev, I didn't even think about a wrench! I have to check my spare tire.

EEK so much to do!

I'm so excited!!!

Another kinda neat thing I'm doing is skating with roller derbys across the country. I'm the founder of the roller derby in Savannah but just about every stop has their own league.

Has anyone been to the Carlsbad Caverns?

I've had their beer, but...

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

No milk or sugar...just neat Kona works good for me thanks :)

LOL...maybe you should start a new business selling tourism for Hawaii....you sell it so well ;)

I'm into hijacking this one now Heather Ann has also joined us for coffee while she changes her spare tire :D

10. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no but ive been to the 'louray'(sp?) caverns in w.virginia. (i think) awesome. texas is a pretty awesome place to drive across too. (i have stories lol) are you going to play in las vagas? its exciting. i am excited for you. you'll have to give us a running blog. :)

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

so? hows your day been? what time is it where you are?

12. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

hehee. i hate changing tires.

but lourve coffee.

Hey, would either of you know how to change your username??? I registered under my full name, but it's a bit lengthy for posting.

neway, yep I have been to Vegas. I don't gamble tho, so I went to Valley of Fire and the Hoover Damn (took the dam tour). This time around tho I'm going to hopefully be visiting Sin City Skates and check (literally) the women there.

yay!

And yes, there will be blogging!!!

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Your trip sounds really exciting...I'm envious! I did Toronto down to Mexico a few years back...that was awesome!

The only way to change you username is to request an Admin do it for you. It's kinda set in stone now.

14. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

ah, gotcha.

thanks.

:::slurp:::

ps- i'm envious that my destination is not portland.

15. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

16. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

How many miles is that Lev?

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Roller Derby....American contact sport—and historically, a form of sports entertainment—based on formation roller skating around a track. It is played at both professional and amateur levels. While traditionally a sport for both women and men, roller derby has developed a predominantly female circuit during its current revival.

Learn something everyday in here , Laurie :D

I will never fly into Toronto from the UK when heading to the US EVER again. What a nightmare of an airport!

Heather Ann....why go to Portland? Mid to southern Oregon is way nicer ;)

Edit: @ Nitecrawler.....lots lol ;) *I didn't count and it wasn't a straight line..went via Toronto, Philly, Atlantic City, St Louis, Springfield (MO), Dallas, Tucson, Nogalas if you wish to calculate it for me ;)*

18. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

so lets get this right.....its like bumper cars without the cars?

19. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

HAHA...bumper butts ;)

20. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

and women in america enjoy this? rofl

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I guess it goes along with body slamming when your team just scored lol

22. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

never was that sporty!! lol

23. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Has anyone been to the Carlsbad Caverns?

I've had their beer, but...[/QUOTE]

I have, it's been almost 20 years though. I loved it, once you get past the smell of bat guano near the entrance the tour is something to remember.

24. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

lev do you know where burns is? i used to live there as a military brat.

25. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

ahh.. Roller derby!!!

Yes, Lev's description (from Wiki?) is correct. But it's a lot more than that.

Roller derby is a full contact sport: the skaters wear helmets, mouthguards, wrist, elbow and knee pads. It's fun because it's women playing a rough sport where they are not butchy nor feminine but still sexy. The skaters are encouraged to take a post third wave feminist twist on their image and sexuality. (Plus, you get your own supershero personality, how cool!)

And the women rule! It's a great outlet for not-so-young women, like myself, who find themselves married (some with children) and working a job that is okay... but lacking in any excitement, comraderie and excercise! Lots of excercise, I might add. Physically, it is very difficult.

The beauty of derby, is that small typical athletes aren't the best players. Derby takes all kinds and shapes of women to make a good team. As a result, it helps combat body image stereotypes because every girl is just as important as they other.

Also, the average derby girl never played team sports so this is their first time feeling accepted as a part of greater whole. Subconsciously it helps combat the "catty woman" perception (ie: that women can't work/play together.) The entire organization is women and ours is non profit. (This is a big change from roller derby of the past where one man made a lot of money off the skaters.)

Worldwide, it's a neat network of fearless alternative women around the world. I'm not crazy about the plastic world of LA, but I have roller sisters there who can't wait to rough it up a bit with me.

EEK! sorry, I can sure talk Derby. But heck, I started one.

this is my league -

[​IMG]

Hope that clears up why I'm such a hopeless derby obsessive.

Heather
    "Ms. D'Fiant" #3D

26. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Private E-2

oh, and body slamming is what we do on the rink.

off the rink there's wristguard high fives.

and some smacks on the behind...

between tea.

@lev - I love all of Oregon! But Portland has an industry for my animator husband. I like Bend and the coast a lot too. And once I went on a trip to find the We'moon in Northern Oregon. Didn't find em.

sneaky we'moon.

27. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I have friends in Bend. I had no idea what you were on about with the We'moon, but googled soon educated me ;) Not my thing, however.

The coast is totally cool.....I'm not a beach babe kinda person, so the rustic Oregon coast is awesome for me :)

@Laurie....why do they beat each other up this way, and THEN have TEA ?:eek: Skip the beatings and go straight for the tea I say...or GNT ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds