Need help finding sound driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by spacenomad, Aug 23, 2007.

1. spacenomad

spacenomad Private E-2

I reinstalled windows XP a few days ago. I don't have the CD with the original device drivers and though I've found almost all the drivers online I still can't find the sound driver. I've attached an everest summary of my system. My computer is Dell optiplex GX260 (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX260&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=)
    but neither of the audio drivers on this page works. All driverguide toolkit tells me about it is:

Windows has identified this device as an unknown device.
    ---------------------------------------------
    The drivers for this device are not installed.

To locate a driver for this device right click the device and select Search | ...for driver.
    DriverGuide Toolkit has detected the following information about this device:

Device: 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step)
    Vendor: Intel Corporation
    OEM: Dell Computer Corp
    Manufacturer: UNKNOWN
    Driver Information
    Class: MEDIA
    Version:
    Date:
    Manufacturer: UNKNOWN
    Capabilities: 0
    Class: MEDIA
    ClassGUID: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    CompatibleIDs: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&REV_01
    ConfigFlags: 64
    DeviceDesc: Multimedia Audio Controller
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01261028&REV_01
    LocationInformation: PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5
    This device is not functioning. Right click this device to identify and search for a driver."

I've searched on the internet a lot but I can't find the driver for 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step).
    I would REALLY appreciate if this forum helps me find the driver.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you install the Intel Chipset Driver first then install the Sound driver from DELL?

3. spacenomad

spacenomad Private E-2

4. DavidGP

As you re-installed XP again its like starting afresh, then you will also need to install the Chipset driver again as that is what allows many onboard hardware components on the motherboard to be recognised by Windows.

In that link you posted its listed as Chipset Software Installation Utility under Chipset menu.

5. spacenomad

spacenomad Private E-2

Ah yeah. That's what I downloaded "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility"

Any idea what I should do now? :confused

6. DavidGP

ah ok, then now you'll need to install the Sound/Audio Driver which will be the one named ADI 198x Integrated Audio

7. spacenomad

spacenomad Private E-2

I installed that driver, it's a soundmax driver. My computer got stuck, had to restart and restore to a restore point I made before installing the driver.

I think i need the driver for 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step)

can't find it anywhere

8. spacenomad

spacenomad Private E-2

bump

I need help!

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds