windows update fails to install

Discussion in 'Software' started by wildwolf220, Dec 13, 2007.

1. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

ok this is driving me nuts now. i got a bunch of updates as we all did but one of them refuses to install:banghead ( update for windows vista KB942763 ). microsoft site says this update is to do with Daylight Saving Time on the computer clock but the error code (80070643 ) that says it relates to microsoft office 2003. any ideas how i can get this to install or even get the updater to ignore it. it has tried to install 11 times now.:mad i got this link from Mada Windows Update Solution Center but nothing i could find there would help.

thanks guys...

2. wildwolf220

should of added i have hide it for now.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You're updating manually, WW? If so, do you have the hexadecimal error code? Should look something like 0x00008425, listed at the top right of the update summary page they take you to once the process it complete.

4. wildwolf220

do you mean when you got to microsoft update page Mada?

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

There seems to be a lot of this going around. I have XP Home, and several of this week's updates won't install. I've searched the MS Knowledge Base and tried some things suggested there, but nothing has worked.

6. wildwolf220

when i go to the microsoft update page it redirects me to this update page on the computer. [​IMG]

then when i try to install it i get this. [​IMG]

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

9. wildwolf220

10. wildwolf220

this is what i cant understand the error code is for office 2003. i dont have that on my pc so there is nothing there in services..

11. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

like to piggyback on this issue.
    the sys in question here is Windows 2000 pro, and the symptom is one I've never seen: accessing any [i.e. "microsoft" update, "office" update, "windows" update] URL's will crash IE6... just hangs then stops, and you have to kill it off manually. this is a pretty lean system but I'm concerned with Google Toolbar, Yahoo toolbar, Logitech camera controls, Skype. somebody is causing the issue... probably active X at the core.....

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Zapp, please do start a new thread as issue maybe completely different to Wildwolfs and mixed messages on two different issues can get confusing to each of the ones asking for assistance as the steps to fix could be vastly different from W2K to Vista.

Cheers.

@Wildwolf ~ are you still getting this? ( as the update server should be fixed for his, on occasion it shows updates you dont need, some folk did have the Free Office 2003 Viewers on their PC and not the full Office 2003 and this update popped up because fo a few similar files )

13. wildwolf220

hey halo.. i dont have office on this pc but it did come with office 2003 powerpoint viewer on it so i think you are spot on. i did get the update to install by removing comodo then reinstalled it again after the update installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds