Windows 7 64 - System Freeze and Lock-Up While Palying Long Videos Online???

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, May 9, 2011.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I need your help! I do not know where to post this thread because the source of the issue cannot be verified.

I notice after playing long videos on You Tube and other websites, my screen will freeze-up for a few seconds and then unfreeze on its own at times. Other times I have to close out of the browser in order to get the system to unlock or I just have to wait a few seconds for the system to unlock on its own. Seems to happen only while playing longer videos online. Other than that, this issue does not happen. This is all new and started happening the last few days.

I will not elaborate too many details at the moment. It is best to take this step-by-step then throw lots of data out all at once and have many long paragraphs to initially post. Please ask me questions if you need too. I will tell you, I have run full system malware scans using Norton 360 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, nothing detected.

Some basic general stats of my system:
    - Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 -- Yorkfield 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz processor.
    - ASUS P5Q desktop motherboard.
    - 8 GB of Corsair XMS 4x2 GB DDR2 RAM.
    - XFX Radeon HD5670 Graphics Card.

Here are 2 Windows Critical Events:

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: FFFFFA800CB0B4E0
    BCP2: FFFFF880041953BC
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1
    Bucket ID: X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
    Server information: d80fbc42-ef2f-4ae9-be5e-34b9b757f682

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 119
    BCP1: 0000000000000001
    BCP2: 00000000FF000000
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1
    Bucket ID: X64_0x119_atikmpag!ProxyDxgkcbNotifyInterrupt+2d2
    Server information: 4e983718-973d-44d5-89c3-0faa846760fb

Please help me and reply back.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both faults reference the same ATI/AMD driver, I'd download and install the latest driver, choose the drivers only package and uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre that you already have installed for less chance of bugs further down the line. The latest driver is here, top link.

3. montecarlo1987

@ satrow:

Hello. Thank you. I have to ask you a question.

I have used a 3rd party program called Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 to uninstall the "ATI - Driver" FIRST BEFORE installing the latest version.

Okay, my question...
    I notice with the latest version for the driver only ("Display Driver" on the website link) STILL contains the Catalyst Control Center, actually called "Catalyst Control Center 2". During the setup/install process and selecting the "Custom" setup, I can not deselect the C.C.C. from installing -- it is checked by default WITHOUT the option to uncheck it; so I HAVE TO install it. Therefore the "Display Driver" which REALLY *IS* a "package" with OTHER components to install even thought it's listed as a "Display Driver". I do not see any means to uninstall JUST C.C.C.. Do you know of a way to do that???

Please reply.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, interesting. Perhaps the installer picked up from somewhere (Registry?) that there is/was a version of CCC installed and is designed to update it? It's a puzzle and I don't have an ATI card fitted here to test it with. Perhaps you can uninstall the CCC (again) from Add/Remove post driver install?

5. montecarlo1987

Hello and thanks for your continued help.

I should of told ya from the beginning and I didn't... The only way to *really* uninstall ATI graphics card software is to use that little free program called Driver Sweeper (and I have now seen there is a newest version online called 3.0.0. http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper-300.html MajorGeeks has a download here for it too: http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html ). This is very highly recommended to use. That is what I used to begin with. I even have Revo Uninstaller installed and it does NOT show anything related to AMD/ATI at all -- and that usually shows *everything* on one's system installed that Windows misses!!! I have been in to the Control Panel's "Programs and Features" and it provides only ONE reference to the AMD/ATI graphics card is "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" that I use to uninstall. But I am told by uninstalling it there misses a lot of files in the system and registry and it removes the AMD/ATI driver with the C.C.C. *together*. It seems you cannot separate C.C.C. from the driver -- they are permanently glued together, I guess.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you managed to uninstall all of the ATi driver and CCC and re-install the driver, personally I would just install the driver package only and leave off the CCC for now, it can be added at a later date.

If you have not managed to uninstall the CCC and or driver (Windows doesnt miss anything off, the uninstallers in Add/Remove are the applications own uninstaller, sadly alot of them are poorly written, which is why apps like Driver Sweeper have emerged), then try the Windows Installer Cleanup tool HERE (will need to right click run as admin to install the app) to see if it can find the ATi files.

Also as you mention stuttering in online video, have you made sure that Adobe Flash is the latest version?

Have you tried disabling Norton 360 to see if its causing the stutter in video, to checking that your internet is working at a good speed as if its not working at a good rate then it cannot keep up with the video framerate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds