BSOD!! Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottster038, Jul 24, 2006.

1. scottster038

scottster038 Private E-2

Hello, my name is Scott Ryan. I have been having a lot of trouble with my computer so maybe you guys could help me

out. Im not very good with computers to begin with, so make things as simple as possible please :( To start off, I loving

playing video games... but while in a video game (Counter-Strike) my comp will get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death?lol)

every so often, ranging from as close as 2 minutes or 2 hours. I am sure my computer can run these games fine, so

that isn't the problem. Sometimes, once I reboot from a BSOD...while on my desktop, I get another one, right of the

bat. I have searched tons of forums and I have done a lot of research. During the BSOD, I get this error message

IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS
    ***Stop = 0x0000000A (0x32BA8B 0x00000002 0x00000000 0x0x804F5903)

Here are my Computer specs:

-Intel P4 2.4ghz processor
    -nVidia Geforce FX 5200 video card
    -1 gig of ram
    -120 gig hard drive

I heard that overheating could also be a problem here! I checked my BIOS for my CPU temps.. this is what I come out

with.

POWER temp = 68C/154F
    SYSTEM temp = 47C
    CPU temp = between 70-80C

I have checked plenty of times and these are the readings I come up with! NOT GOOD!

****I also did a memtest, in case it was my RAM causing these problems. I got ONE error. (Error copying between word pairs #32309577 and 32308728)****

Someone please, I am in need of desperate help! Thanks for reading :(

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

is this a custom built computer? im guessing no but if so, lemme know so i can tell u how to tweak ur BIOS to possibly fix those memory errors.

Anyways, i was also thinking that it was overheating. 70-80C idle in the BIOS is REALLY REALLY HOT, even for a p4 and probably the infamous toasty Prescott core. Download speedfan and check your temps in Windows, it could be a bad reading. If u can, open your case and blow off the CPU heatsink with a can of compressed air if ya got some. Dust buildup can be a major problem, especially in a prebuilt computer which generally doesnt have the greatest airflow. If there is a place in front to mount another fan for intake, do that; it will make a big difference. ok i may be getting ahead of myself here so try this stuff and ill get back to ya if the problems persist

o yea, welcome to MG dude!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Hi Scott, your cpu temps are high, first thing i would do is pull the side cover off the side of your case and see if the heat sink fan [on the cpu] is even running, these can be a little misleading because they can run but be too wore out to run fast enough to properly cool, check that out and post back. ed

4. scottster038

scottster038 Private E-2

Alrighty, ill do this stuff tomorrow, its getting kind of late. My computer is actually custom, we pretty much picked the stuff to be put into it off of "PCUSA.COM" and they built it their, then shipped it to us.. so i guess it isnt custom.. who knows. But ill try what you guys said, ill download that speedfan program and ill see if the heat sink is working.. im not even sure what a heat sink fan is...? Thanks for your help so far everyone.

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Scott, once you get the cover off you will see a large silver heat sink[ an aluminum block with slots machined in it] with a fan setting on top, your processer is underneath all this, the heat travels up the heat sink and the fan forces air thru it to cool the cpu, this fan is what you need to check. ed

6. scottster038

scottster038 Private E-2

Alrighty, I cleaned of the Heat Sink fan as you said. Now my CPU temp has dropped to idle at 50c. THANKS! I did some more memtests and they all come up clean, i guess the overheating processor caused the errors?

PS= What is a good fan rpm, my = around 2500 Is this bad? how do i fix this if its bad?

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

thats just fine. if you want to keep your temps even lower then just grab a new heatsink. if ya want one, someone here will be able to point out some good ones. what socket is your processor? maybe u dont know but ill wait until u reply b4 i tell ya lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds