ECS MCP61PM-HM Motherboard CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burkie67, Nov 17, 2010.

1. burkie67

burkie67 Private E-2

I have just bought a "ECS MCP61PM-HM" motherboard thinking I could use my Athlon dual 2.7 CPU. Should this one work? Or do I need to upgrade the CPU. I know the HP site stats say "Athlon 64 or X2" but cannot seem to get any sort of answer from their site, only a list of specs!!!
    Urgent help, anyone, please.
    :cry:cry

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Having checked www.ecsusa.com it appears this is a board sold only by HP; no specs are available.

If you have any option to return this board for a refund (even with a restocking fee), I would do so and cut your losses. I worked at a major retailer (F:***'s) that stopped selling ECS largely due to rampant defects and horrible customer support.

To find a decent board, check the reviews on Newegg or Amazon. Although an ASUS or Gigabyte may cost a few bucks more, it will save you both time and the cost of a Valium prescription. :banghead

3. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Can you tell us they exact name/model of your CPU? The specs for that board say it's a socket AM2, will accept Athlon 64 X2 CPUs up to 89 watts and up to 2.9Ghz. The board uses nVidia's 6150SE chipset.

As gman has said if you can you should look into returning it and you can pick up a similar board in the $40 range at Newegg.

For example this Biostar MCP6P-M2+ board for $40 is similar, the CPU socket will accept AM2, AM2+ and AM3 processors up to 95 watts.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds