I think I've been attacked-A trojan perhaps

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ArizonaEd, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ArizonaEd

ArizonaEd Private E-2

I use McAfee for primary protection and for 3 years it has done its job well.
    I now-for the last 4 days-have had the Quick Clean feature freeze up early in the cleaning process. I limited the cleaning to the temp files and found a 204 KB application titled RtkBtMnt modified 5/26/2008 at 2:42 AM that will not allow itself to be deleted. It seems to have some affiliation with WMPNetworkSvc.
    I have dug up several bits of info indication RtkBtMnt and/or WMPNetworkSvc can be a trojan. I have not been able to find a safe way to delete or detect the trojan from my Acer Extensa using Windows Vista Home Premium. I use Comcast for cable service.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction in order to diagnose and remove what I believe is Malware.
    Thanks for any assistance,
    ArizonaEd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome. :)

For malware, you will need to follow all instructions in this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 and post all the logs that are asked for in a new thread in the Malware Forum.

Just a suggestion...please be careful of the color font you use as some are very hard to see against the green background. ;)

3. ArizonaEd

ArizonaEd Private E-2

Laura,
    Thanks for assisting a Newbe to this very cool site. I'm certain I will be here often.
    Make your day Grrreat!!!
    Ed

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds