Refresh rate problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thejaguar, May 23, 2012.

1. thejaguar

thejaguar Private E-2

Hello
    I have a new computer (Everest report attached)
    Windows 7
    GeForce GTX 680
    Benq FP222W LCD Monitor

In the Nvidia settings it has the monitor running in its native
    1680x1050 60Hz
    If you right click on desktop go to resolution it lists as 59Hz
    I change it to 60Hz but it will not change.

Benq offer no driver but the 1.0.0.0

Any ideas?
    Some games won't work on 59Hz.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

From the report it looks as though your monitor is installed as a generic monitor so you have no driver installed,are you sure your monitor needs a driver?

Go to control panel,system,device manager find your monitor and click properties, is the driver listed as Benq or Microsoft?

First download the latest driver from nvidia.

If you haven't already install the 1.000 benq driver,as soon as the driver is installed try to change the frequency to 60hz by going to right click desktop,resolution,advanced,list all modes then select the 60hz frequency.

3. thejaguar

thejaguar Private E-2

Have tried the benq 1.0.0.0 driver no help.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good question! No it does not. It should be noted that monitors don't need or use drivers. It is not up to Windows to communicate with monitors. Windows communicates with the graphics solution, not the monitor. It is up to the graphics solution to then establish communications (handshake) with any attached monitor(s). So you need the proper drivers for your graphics card (or integrated solution) for proper operation.

So if that is true, what are those "monitor drivers" out there used for? All they do is (1) tell Windows the brand and model number so that information can be displayed in System Information and (2), they are used to "remove" (hide) unsupported resolutions so you don't accidentally select an unsupported resolution, and get a blank screen.

Also, don't worry about the refresh rate. LCD monitors ignore them anyway. Why? Because LCDs don't need refreshing. Refresh rates were established for CRT monitors because the phosphorus "picture elements" (pixels), the "dots" on the inside of the CRTs picture tube immediately begin to fade once the RGB (red, green, and blue) electron "guns" have moved on. So to keep the pixels illuminated, they have to be refreshed.

But diodes (as in liquid crystal diodes) are solid state devices. The don't fade. Diodes stay on and fully illuminated until instructed to turn off.

5. thejaguar

thejaguar Private E-2

6. Rikky

Actually 'Liquid crystal display' LCD panels are not diodes,the backlight can consist of LED diodes but both function separately the backlight can be dimmed by hardware or software but the actual LCD doesn't emit any illumination it can only block the backlight to produce a dark spot or colour.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/lcd_display_vs_lcd

There are newer OLED organic light-emitting diode displays that are diodes and emit their own light but I haven't seen any in consumer level equipment.

Are you suffering any other symptoms,I posted assuming your games would not function is this the case?

7. Digerati

My appologies to all! I should have paid more attention to what I was typing :-o (or had another cup before engaging brain). Rikky is correct and liquid crystal displays (LCDs) are not made up of a bunch of diodes (and I was talking about the display panel, and not the type backlighting used - LED or CCFL tubes).

The point I was trying to make is the pixels are turned on, then turned off. Their "luminance", if you will, do not "decay" as happens when the phosphorus pixels of CRT monitors are not longer being zapped - so they don't have to be redrawn or refreshed. The monitor keeps that pixel set in whatever state it is in, until told to change it by another command sent from the graphics card.

This lets the card and monitor process images faster because they only have to change the pixels that change for that next frame. Now if running an analog connection, that might not apply.

Thanks for keeping me straight. Oh...
    And I thought I didn't get out much! ;)

8. thejaguar

thejaguar Private E-2

Here is the solution I found.

THIS IS A SOLUTION FOR NVIDIA CARDS, AND IT WORKS GREAT.
    - Go to Nvidia Control Panel
    - Go to Add resolution
    - Create Custom Resolution
    - Click on Timing
    - Click on Manual
    - Set refresh rate to 60.001 Hz
    - Press Apply, and Have funnnn

You have to accept a warning first that this may cause damage to your monitor, I would like hearing from people that know if this might happen.

9. Digerati

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing that too. I can see a monitor just refusing to work, but not be damaged - especially over 1/1000th of a Hertz.

10. Rikky

Your monitor should be good to 76hz anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds