TEMP file different from temporary files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ladee_katt, Jan 5, 2004.

1. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

I have both a "TEMP" file, and a "temporary internet files" in my windows directory. While I was told that emptying out my "c\windows\temp directory" should be done at regular intervals, I usually think that this refers to my temporary files, but there is a completely seperate directory called c\windows\TEMP, and it contains MANY files (1,772 files to be exact!) and although there are several folders that seem to contain install files, a ton of it looks to be copies of copies of very old pics and messages? Should this file be emptiable, I see alot of wasted space here, and I'm only running a 2 gig hard drive, so I need all I can get! Any help would be great!!!
    ~Katt

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

welcome katt!

Temp files are usually files that are used to install programs, then discarded into the temp directory. For example, if you download a zip file and open a file located in that zip file, it will first extract that file to the temp directory, then it will run that file from the temp directory. the temp files are safe to delete.

Temporary Internet Files are files that are downloaded to your computer. Such as pictures on websites. So next time you come accross that picture, it is pulled from the temp internet files directory, thus cutting down the page loading times. These files can be removed as well.

3. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

thanks for the info! Hopefully (of course I'll back up all of it first) I'll have alot of space free'd up on my system!

4. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Temporary files do not need to be backed up. They will just waste space on your hardrive. I delete those files everyday without worrying about losing any important data. I have done this for a very long time with no bad consequenses.

5. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

I'm glad I didn't back it all up in my hard drive......it took up 8 floppy disks! With sub-folders like "history" and "cookies", I was afriad to let it all go w/o being safe. All seems to be still alive and kicking though! And I feel like an ass, as I went from 86mb left of free space to 1.06gb left unused!!!!!!!!!!! **kicks self**

6. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

you should download programs like the following and run in at least once a week

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1283 free

also the following I use it too. Dont worry it will make a back up if something important gets deleted. so far I have not needed to restore anything.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2579 free

Another one you could use is

Although this one is not free it will definately clean your registry. It is recommended by just about every geek here. Use it for 30 days if not satisfied just delete

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4001

This programs will make sure that you have a good clean running computer.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  7. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

I'm glad I started coming to visit here more often......I think it was time for me to move up a step in my computer knowledge, but was only poking around the main site, instead of the boards. Thanks for all of the help!

8. acejones

I would also recommend downloading and installing http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html as well as running Disk Cleanup every week or so. Disk Cleanup can be found at Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools. Here you can delete your Temp files, as well as your Temporary Internet files, as well as other files.

9. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

Also,

whoa! Okay, wait a minute! I run my disk cleanup tool every night before I shut down for the night, just in hopes that I keep as little space cluttered as possible! This TEMP folder never showed up there! 1,77? files went undetected? How, and why???? Also, I did d/l the program regsupreme....but the "fix" button doesn't work, or even highlight......is that one of the try some features, buy the rest?

10. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

that should not be happening with reg cleaner. they will let you use it for 30 days

at the top left go to select----then select all----- then fix :)

11. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

well, for whatever reason, that seemed to do the trick? But I can't choose to do them one at a time, which I would have liked to do a couple, just to get the idea of why I was ahving this problem, what it was, and how to keep this from happening again. Better to do that and control it as it comes, than to rely on a program to do it for me. Have any ideas on the the issue of disk cleanup not allowing me to get rid of the temp files? I tried it again, just a minute ago, and the "temp" file I cleared out is nowhere to be found there.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  12. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

Okay, sorry. I think I found a PART of the temp folder problem. When I explore all of the options, it olny lets you delete files that are 10 days old or older? But there were files there that were over 2 years old!? Anyway, if my OS won't let me know when it's time to dump it, I'll start checking myself.

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

if you just want to delete a couple of them then just click on the little box that you see on the left side of every entry. the ones with a check mark will be deleted. :)

14. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

thankyou;)

Thank you so much for the info, and continued support. ;)

"ask me the difference between a 'good nOOb' and a 'pain-in-the-rear nOOb.......and I will answer, *a good nOOb is one who will search, listen, and learn!!*"

15. Memnoch

Memnoch Private E-2

Temp Folder on Windows XP Pro

Hello all,

Now I know this is going to sound stupid, and has already been answered in this very thread but I thought I should ask the Question anyway. I have noticed the my sysyem these days is starting to act a little slow, I have done the Usual defragment both Hard drives ,ran Disk Cleanup etc, but I noticed that in my windows Temp folder (under defafault - C:\windows\temp)I noticed that there is a very large collection of files/folders, would it be possible to select everything in temp and delete it. I am unsure if this will do harm to the pc so this is why I hav not tried yet, and then thought I should ask some experts advice.

Please help.

Memnoch

16. acejones

yes...you can delete them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds