question about Panda Internet Security

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jul 20, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey guys,

I build a lot of custom computers for customers and I found some software on Newegg that supposedly has a firewall, anti-virus, and spyware all for $25. It's called Panda Platinum Internet Security Suite (or thereabouts) and I've heard of it before... But don't know anything about it.

Anyone have an opinion on it? :p :p :p

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

I have used it before and didnt like it. Didnt like it because it had alot of problems within the product once installed which couldnt be fixed.

Maybe you should use the following free anti-virus and firewall software:

Anti-Virus

AVG Free Edition
    Avast Home Edition
    AntiVir Personal Edition

But make sure you only install and run only one anti-virus.

Firewalls

Zone Alarm Free
    Sygate Personal Firewall Free
    Kerio Personal Firewall

But make sure you only install and run only one firewall.

Spyware

Ad-Aware SE Personal
    SpyBot S&D

You should install both of these on the computer for the removal of spyware.

controlmind

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I don't really want to charge my customers for something that is free, but the average user doesn't know how to control scan their computer for viruses/spyware (I use to work at Circuit City). The average user doesn't really know enough to even justify buying a PC in my opinion because they are too scared to learn to use it, heh.

But anyway, I am looking for something that will do everything basically except update itself. I was looking at Ad-Aware Plus which has Ad-Watch.

I have noticed with AVG that it doesn't catch a lot of stuff Norton does, but Norton costs $50. I may consider one of the free firewalls, though.

I basically need something I can setup and it not have any problems. I don't want a customer calling me every day saying he can't get on the Internet because of his firewall or saying that he doesn't know how to update his anti-virus. I had a customer call me at Circuit City the other day (I used to work there, no longer because I am going to school) and he had set a Windows password and locked himself out of the computer. I had to tell him to go into safe mode. He was trying to hit the boot button at the WinXP Welcome Screen instead of the initial HP screen. Err.... I tried several times to explain it to him, but he was kinda dense.

I don't know. Something easy yet effective is the key, and cheap if possible, though it doesn't have to be free. ;)

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with all the appliciations that control mind listed, and personally use Avast, Sygate, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware SE, and A2 Squared. I've never had problems with any of them.

A question though? Why would you want to install applications on a customer's computer that wouldn't automatically update themselves? :)

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Err, I don't know why I said that. I need something that does everything on its own. Looking for something that sits in the background and does everything silently (unlike Norton, which pops up with things all the time that people would annoy me with by calling and asking what "this and that" means)

Sorry for mis-typing! :p

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Any of the AV programs that controlmind listed are excellent programs.
    From experience I would say Norton misses many viruses that AVG picks up. Just because it is free; doesn't mean it's not as good as a pay program.
    Charging customers for free software would be unethical; however, charging a labor fee for performing work on their computer that they are either too lazy or just not smart enough to accomplish is not unethical. I charge a flat rate labor fee of $100; whether it takes me 10-minutes or 10-hours to fix the system. I routinely install free software on my customers PCs and they are informed ahead of time that I am going to do so, If I think the customer should change their AV/Firewall solutions then I will recommend what I think is best for their particular sytem configuration, and obtain their permission to make the changes. Anti-virus software I install on my customers system is either AVAST or AVG; for firewall it is either Sygate Personal Firewall or Zone Alarm Free. It depends on the system configuration which combination of AV/Firewall I install.

Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security are system resource hogs and will never receive my recommendation for install. Every system I encounter with Norton on it I recommend to my customer that it should be replaced with something that is less demanding of their system resources.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Well stated, never thought of it like that, I guess. And yeah, I noticed the system resources being pulled by Norton, Mcafee, etc.

Any free software out there that does it all in one program?

And for the basic user, which firewall and AV would be best? I don't think I should try them all when you guys know already :p

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

There are no all-in-one free software suites. I have never been a fan of security suites anyway. For the standard XP system with 512Mb of Ram I usually go with AVAST! and Sygate. If the system has less RAM then I go with AVG and Sygate. On rare occasions I switch out Sygate for ZoneAlarm, only because it's interface is something the customer is more comfortable with. If it's a 9x system then my choice in AntiVir with Sygate.

I run AVG, AVAST! and AntiVir; Kerio Personal Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall. My current system configurations are 98SE w/ AntiVir+Sygate, 1 XP Home w/ AVG+KPF, 1 XP Home w/ AVG+SPF, 2 XP Pro w/ AVAST!+SPF. Performance has been excellent to date. Of course the users habits play a significant role in security.

For spyware I load Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster. For cache cleaner I load CCleaner. Standard on all systems. If the system has sufficient resources I load SpywareGuard. I am still testing MS Anti-Spyware.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  9. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

heh, Shadow i run exactly the same progs on my computer

Avast
    Sygate
    Adaware SE
    Spybot
    SpywareBlaster
    Crapcleaner

have a question regarding Sygate... when a prompt displays asking me if i want to allow access for something to the internet, i no longer have the option to check off that little white box for "remember my answer"... do you think a simple uninstall and reinstall would fix this issue?

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You can control permissions if you click on the Applications icon on the menu in the main Sygate program window, I know PITA. I'm not sure why the "remember my answer" box is not working, a reinstall may fix it. I would have to do some research to see if there is a fix.

11. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i uninstalled v.6.5 and went and installed v.6.6 off Majorgeeks... and the problem was gone... i suspect it was a problem with WindowBlinds not displaying the window correctly...

anyhow... are their any vital changes i should make to Sygate's default settings to ensure optimal protection? i've never really messed with the options much... just disabled access to everything that didn't require it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds