Internet connection issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wikedawsum, Aug 23, 2007.

1. wikedawsum

wikedawsum Private E-2

Hi, all. New here and hoping someone can help me out!

I have a new Dell computer that I just setup at our sales counter here in my office. It was purchased to replace an old computer running Windows 98. I'm having problems connecting to the internet with the new computer. We have 3 computers at the counter and all are connected to the same switch. When I set the new computer up, I just used the same cable that was connected to the old computer. When I open Internet Explorer it will try to load for several seconds and then I get the Page Cannot be Displayed msg and at the bottom it says "Cannot connect to server or DNS error."

I have tried switching out the ethernet cable from the computer to the switch. I've checked the IP settings and compared with another computer on the same switch and they are exactly the same (except for the computer's IP address). I've also tried renewing the IP address, and using the repair feature on the LAN settings. I can ping to other computers on our network, and am able to access our internal Citrix Metaframe site, but I cannot ping to any outside website. I also tried turning off the Windows Firewall, but that did nothing. The computer that was replaced had no problems connecting to the internet so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the setup on the new computer.

I have never encountered this issue before and am at a loss as to what to try next. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Oh, and this computer is running Windows XP with SP2.

Thank you!

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks,
    You might try contacting your ISP and letting them know you have a new computer replacing the old one. They may have to allow the new computer's NIC, (which has a different MAC from the old computer) to connect to their server.

3. wikedawsum

wikedawsum Private E-2

Thanks, LBMEST. What's weird is that the two other computers at the counter were also replaced at some point and I had no trouble setting those up. Thanks for your suggestion, though. Will try it out!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds