No internet Connection. Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lordsatan, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordsatan

lordsatan Private E-2

I have 2 computers running XP PRO SP2 hooked via ethernet cable to a LinkSys router.

One computer has a perfect internet connection.
    Under "Local Area Connection Status" > "Network Connection Details" it has:

Physical Address: 00-04-E2-05-71-D2
    IP Address: 10.99.4.35
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.99.4.1
    DHCP Server: 10.99.4.1
    Lease Obtained: 2/8/2010 4:46:15 AM
    Lease Expires: 1/18/2038 10:14:07 PM
    DNS Server: 10.99.4.1
    WINS Server:

The other computer has a fresh install of XP Pro SP2. It has an MSI motherboard with all
    drivers freshly installed from the MSI site. About 40 hrs of troubleshooting and I still
    cannot connect to the internet with this computer going through the router or without.
    Under "Local Area Connection Status" > "Network Connection Details" it has:

Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
    IP Address: 10.99.4.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.99.4.1
    DHCP Server: 10.99.4.1
    Lease Obtained: 2/9/2010 2:03:37 AM
    Lease Expires: 2/10/2010 2:03:37 AM
    DNS Server: 10.99.4.1
    WINS Server:

I know the modem and router are fine because one computer is connected. I know the ethernet
    cable is good because I used the same cable on both and the one still works. I also tried
    connecting with the USB output on the modem and also failed. I wanted to elimate the OS as a factor
    so I used Knoppix, MEPIS & Sysyem Rescue CDs...all failed.

I think I'm closer with the router since without it I cannot even get an IP address. I get 0.0.0.0
    I checked "Local Area Connection Properties" many times and I believe they are correct. Both
    "Obtain IP" and "Obtain DNS" are both set to automatic. "DHCP" is enabled.

I am a novice with routers/mac addresses but it looks like that the MAC configuration may be the problem?
    The Physical Address of the computer is 00-00-00-00-00-00. The IP is 10.99.4.2

The router config has the MAC as "00:13:d3:5e:c8:6f" and an IP of 10.99.4.22
    The start IP is 10.99.4.2

Please give me some suggestions. Any help would be great. Please ask if you need more info. I'm a novice so I'm sure I missed something.

thanx much

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you tried IP release and renew ?

If not try this :

1. First click on Start then Run and type command in the Open: field and press the OK button.
    2. To determine what your IP address and default gateware are we need to run ipconfig.exe. Type ipconfig.exe and press enter. The Default Gateway address and the IP Address will be displayed. Regardless of whether there are addresses listed here, continue with the next two steps.
    3. You will need to release your current IP address and gateway in order to get a new one. If this turns out not to be the problem with your computer, this proceedure will not hurt anything by attempting it. Release your current IP by typing the following ipconfig /release and then press enter. This will release any assigned IP addresses and gateways from your computer.
    4. Next you need to type in ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address or default gateway. On the screen your should see your new Default Gateway and IP Address. If you are using a router or your IP has not changed on your modem then the addresses may not have changed.
    5. Type exit to leave the command prompt and get to Windows.
    Rusty ! :)

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

It would appear that the network card in the broken computer has lost it's MAC address and as a result no information can be sent to it.

The MAC address should be hard-wired into the card when the motherboard is made, as a result I recommend you purchase a PCI network card for around £10. This is the easiest and cheapest solution in my opinion.

4. lordsatan

lordsatan Private E-2

I can ipconfig /release, but unfortunately, when I type ipconfig /renew,
    it just hangs and I get a timed out error...and back to sqaure one....

thanx

5. lordsatan

lordsatan Private E-2

Yes, I was afraid it was a hardware problem...

This may be a stupid question, but remember instead of using the ethernet chord into the network card, I connected via USB and also failed a connection. When I connect via theUSB, does it still use the network card
    in any way?

thanx

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Before you purchase a PCI network card, try spoofing your mac address for that particular PC then if that don't work then you know for definite that its what collins says !
    But, in saying that, if it is knackered then it won't recognise anything anyway !

7. lordsatan

lordsatan Private E-2

THANK YOU...thank you...thank you !

After about 50 hours and 5 or 6 days I finally have an internet connection again...and of course, it was an insanely simple, quick fix.

I ran Macshift
    http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/

...and changed the MAC Address to a random 12 digit string. Instant internet connection!

I'm a MAC novice so my initial thought was that I should change it to the
    MAC I have in my router under Static Leases >MAC Address, but I just wanted to see if Macshift worked and I chose a random one.

thanx again for the suggestion. That was my first MAC sppofing

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Glad you got sorted lordsatan ! ;)

Rusty ! :major

9. reggs

reggs Private E-2

Macshift fixed the same 00:00:00:00:00 issue on my Sis 900 Nic as well.
    I'd actually given up on the PC with the suspect LAN and hand't switched it on for months. Now its working beautifully again :)
    Thanks guys this really helped a ton !:-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds