Hooking up all the wires

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corporalgeek, Mar 4, 2009.

1. corporalgeek

corporalgeek Private E-2

I have a Sonata case that has been lurking in my basement and there were other casualties hiding in there too. Sooo I decided to see if I could salvage enough parts to make a computer for my son. Everything is going pretty well except I have a bunch of little wires that hook up to the power button and some LEDs and a speaker and a headphone jack. Of course I can't find a manual for the case or the motherboard that has the details for where the wires go. The Motherboard is a TriGem 2002052 (Glendale) with a pentium 4 2.4 Gig processor and the case is apparently the original Sonata Case with a 380 watt power supply. Anybody got an idea of how this should work or is it a suicide mission?

2. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

LED's, Power and Reset should be easy enough.
    You should have (hopefully) a bank of 9 pins somewhere (generally front, bottom of motherboard close to power button) They will be labeled something like - PWR, Reset (generally pretty easy to recognise abbreviations anyway and one is a dummy or extra ground-not sure). The wires coming from the front of the case should be labelled on the little black connectors. If not just follow them back to find out what's what.
    It really shouldn't do any harm to get them wrong though. Never hurt any of my boards anyway so you should be fine to trial and error it if there not labeled well.
    This will give you an idea of what to look for
    ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/K7S8X.pdf
    Totally random board but if you see the first picture it lays out all the basic headers for that board. If you scroll down to p13 it shows details on how to hook up the different headers. Yours will likely be different but it may help you out a bit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds