How do I force-flash IBM Mobo BIOS ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phrederick, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Phrederick

Phrederick Private E-2

I recently acquired a Cisco WAE-612 "Wide Area Application Engine" which is really nothing more than an IBM x306 1U server (Machine Type 8849-PAV in IBM parlance) with a green "cisco" front bezel rather than the black IBM bezel. I mean, it's "IBM" right down to the part number on the motherboard and everything else. I think it would make a nice little linux router box.

I need to update the MoBo bios and BMC bios (That identifies itself as Cisco v1.06) to the latest IBM bios v1.43. The Cisco bios locks the fans on full (loud); the IBM bios would let me control them via the OS. Problem is, the IBM bios updater won't update it, it says "this flash utility is not meant to run on this system".

Surely, there's a way to override this warning and FORCE an update ???

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try this. Not responsible for a bricked computer.

3. geeki

geeki Private E-2

I've successfully updated an older 306m (WAE-500). Here's how I did it:

Obtain the update ISO for the flash you think will work and burn it to a CD. In my case it was 1.45a.

Boot the CD and you'll see the IBM POST/BIOS menu. This is really a front-end for the Phoenix Phlash16 utility.

Select "0" for exit and you should drop to the command line.

Now you have direct access to the flash utility.

Execute the following command:

PHLASH16 /X FLASHFIL.FLS

Assuming your choice of BIOS was correct the box will update. Reboot and hold your breath that it boots back up with the new BIOS.

Also not responsible for a bricked computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds