problem with netgear WGR614 & Dlink 300T

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kered Lofthouse, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Kered Lofthouse

Kered Lofthouse Private E-2

I hope someone can help me out here:

I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router and when I was on Cable, it connected ok to a cable modem. Now that I have moved house I have had to buy an ADSL broadband modem (D-Link DSL-300T). The two dont seem to want to work with each other.

If I connect the modem into my laptop, I connect ok to the internet.

If I connect the modem to my router, the router can see the ISP internet address and everything looks ok except I cannot get to the internet nor does the test page facility in the router work.

I have followed the D-Link and Netgear config instructions and I have also downloaded the latest firmware but still I cannot access the internet through the router.

I have even tried changing the MTU value ranging from 1300 - 1500.

I have tried using PPPOe and PPpoa

I have tried every permutation of changes possible and have now run out of steam and enthusiasum

Anyone have any ideas?.

2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

have you thought about your IP settings?

if your ADSL router and wireless router are configured to a common ip of 192.168.1.1 and both providing DHCP then when your PC trys to get an IP it will get confused.

just a thought

3. kingubito

kingubito Private E-2

I'm having the same problem, I assumed it was overlapping DHCP but manual configuration and excluding addresses etc hasn't helped. I wonder if there is a recognised problem with this combination? Any help would be very appreciated.

anthony

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Your wireless router may not be compatible with your new modem. In the UK, you have to get the linksys wrt54g router for cable modem internet and the other linksys router for phone line broadband, such as BT. This replaces the modem, i think, and is a wireless router too.

5. RickM

RickM Private First Class

One thing you may want to try is resetting the router to its Factory default. There may be old config settings from your old ISP still enbedded. There ususally is a reset button (pin hole) to do this. Unplug your router from the modem and reset it. Once you reset everything plug the router back into your DSL modem and see if it propogates the IPs and DNS information.

6. kingubito

kingubito Private E-2

The annoying thing is that it worked for about 1 minute when we first set it up. Obviously I have no idea what we did to enable it, I've read posts that it may work if the 300t is configured as a bridge with DHCP turned off -

'I set up the WGR614 with the 300T in bridging mode. The WGR614 does support PPPoE, make sure you turn off the modem's DHC server, setup your ISP account info in the router including your ISP's DNS servers'

PPPoE and PPPoA are perhaps the problem? Perhaps the router only does PPPoE and the ISP PPPoA? BTbroadband is the isp in question.

I'll try one more day configuring, all my tech friends are coming round on sunday to have a go...

any thoughts?

thanks

anthony

7. RickM

RickM Private First Class

It would be intersting if BT has you setup in Bridge mode. Bridging is generally used for connected 2 different networks. Again I would reset your Modem to its default and if needed conatact BT and ask what settings they require. They sould be able to walk you through the setup for VCI/VPI etc. I think Bridging will just confuse everything. Then again I am not familiar with how BT hands off to customers in the UK.

8. kingubito

kingubito Private E-2

For anyone in a similair position, bt broadband do not support PPPoE only PPPoAr which is not supported by the netgear wgr614 v4. I presume there is no further progress to be made other than swapping ISP or router. Since the 300t is capable of performing PPPoAr login, nat and dhcp, maybe it's possible to dumb down the netgear router?

cheers

anthony

9. Raymond

Raymond Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I have a working solution. The router will work in PPOE mode with BT broadband in the UK. I have both the WGR614 & Dlink working happily together. Here's what to do: first unplug the router and connect directly to the modem ONLY. Reset both the modem and router by pushing a pin into the back where the reset switch is, hold it down untill some lights go out then release it (takes approx 15 seconds..you need 15 secs to clear the memory of residual content). On the DLink 300T, enter the Bios page at http://192.168.1.1 and choose bridge from the drop down list. Change your IP to 192.168.0.103 (for example note: this IP will take you to the bios, should you later wish to do so, I can't login to the Dlinks bios after its all setup, so do it right 1st time otherwise you have to unplug the router to get back into the modem.. im not sure if the router uses the IP 192.168.0.103 as I assume it will give out its own IP..anyway it works!) turn NAT off if its an option (you cant have two NAT devices competing against each other, you probably wont see the option on the latest modem only devices). Click on the apply button then go to the save all under system commands. Switch the modem off, wait 15 secs and switch on. Now reconnect both devices as normal..go to the router login at www.routerlogin.net and let the router do the rest, it will detect the setting as PPOE..now just follow the prompts..and bingo! You will be online...any probs send me an email..mark it Re: Dlink and WGR614 on majorgeeks ...note: this solution should also work on the Netgear FR114P and Dlink 300T (I have that one too but i havent plugged it in yet)..Good luck :)

10. Raymond

Raymond Private E-2

Hi, I forgot to mention that when setting up the modem, also turn off DHCP this is a must as you only want the router to be the DHCP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds