changing password on windows xp without knowing the original password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gower, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Gower

Gower Private First Class

Hi all, Found out the other day that if you start a windows xp system up n safe mode then click on control pannel ten user accounts then the specified user which is password protected and it allows you to change the password without knowing the original one. This isnt on as anyone could do this and find out confidential infromation etc. Is there a way of preventing this and making your user account completetly secure?
    Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

How to Password Protect Safe Mode in Windows Xp
    In Windows XP, even if you set passwords on your accounts, an office snoop can use Safe Mode to get in. You can protect your computer through the following steps:

Steps
    Print this page for reference.
    Restart the computer. Repeatedly press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options screen appears. Select the Safe Mode option using the up and down arrow keys, then press the ENTER key. Choose "Windows XP Home/Professional", depending on the version of the operating system. Press ENTER. Shortly, the welcome screen should show.
    Click the Start button. Choose Run and type in "control userpasswords" (without the quotes). Click OK.
    Select the "Administrator" user. Click Change my password. Enter a new password in the corresponding text boxes. Click OK. Write this password down and store it in a secure place. I do not recommend that a password hint be used.
    Close the User Accounts window and restart Windows.

Tips
    You can further improve your security by enabling the BIOS password protection and changing your boot order to use floppies and CDs after the hard disk. Note that this does not prevent attacks which involve removing the hard drive or clearing the CMOS settings. Read your computer manual before performing any of these changes.
    If removing hard disks and/or clearing CMOS memory is a concern, Windows's file encryption should be used, especially for strictly confidential documents.

Warnings
    The Administrator password may be needed if you need to remove viruses or spyware. Therefore, you must record this password.
    This is not a substitute for Windows Update. You must keep Windows current to avoid Internet worms.

3. Gower

Gower Private First Class

Thankyou very much

4. TimW

Your welcome ...:)

5. JudyPatudy

JudyPatudy Private E-2

If you dont mind me moving in on this thread.... I ve got a similar problem. an account for someone who no longer uses this pc shows up when I start up my puter. Well recently I have been denied access to almost everything, saying I dont have permission or something.

First it will come up with a box that says

run as

which user account do you want to use to run this program?
    then it says current user, me, with a check in the circle.

or I can uncheck and select administrator, and it asks me for a password.

I HAVE AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT!

But it wont let me access anything, not even the user accounts place.

SO, I tried the safemode thing and did run and typed control userpasswords and the weird part is that the person who doesnt use the pc any more... (the one who also has an administrator acct, and shows up in normal boot) ISNT THERE!! So, I cant even delete it because it doesnt show up there!

I cant do anything right now and I need help!!! Please!!

6. TimW

Hey Judy ...this could get involved, so please start a new thread ...just copy and paste into a new thread in software ...I've got some things for you to try ...but don't want to do so in this "done" thread.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds