something is slowing my computer down

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamesedwardcox, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jamesedwardcox

jamesedwardcox Private E-2

Kestrel13! - Malware Fighter
    any ideas?

thanks

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Looked into Task Manager, msconfig-startup. Tried CCleaner, a disk derfag, run chkdsk c:/r. run cleanmgr /sageset:50. Usually check everything but compress old files. You probably have System restore set to high (12%) 1200MB should be more than sufficient.Cut down the size of your recycle bin (trash) too. I keep proprietary startups to firewall and possibly anti virus. Means I have to check for updates to java and the like, and wait a bit longer to load certain programs but I like some control, even with a couple gig of RAM and dual core processor.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Just to be safe, I would scan my hard drives for any problems. No matter how many drives you have or which one is going, a drive that is starting to faulter will slow the system down until it finally fails. You can unplug the drives one at a time or run smart disk on them from DOS, but its a good idea to check now because if a hard drive is causing your slow down, its best to catch it while you can still transfer data. Once it fails completely your data will be lost. The drives manufacturer will have a utility disk you can download if you can't find the one they came with.

Just about 6months ago my system was acting strange and slow to open folders and the internet but I thought it was a virus or something, because typically I have Smart Drive running in the bios to warn me. Well the drive failed and after I replaced it I found somehow Smart Drive Monitoring had gotten turned off. I didn't turn it off, so I can only assume some program I installed had done it during a restart to prevent conflicts. Now I check on occasion to make sure its still on. I lost my data, the drive still sits next to my PC waiting to see if I ever find an old one to swap circuit boards with.

4. jamesedwardcox

that would be pretty much the lowest setting (1%). at the moment it's on 11446mb (12%)

so should i change it and make it much lower?

5. jamesedwardcox

maybe i'm blind but i can't see the 'thanks' button!

current task manager processes
    explorer.exe
    VTTimer.exe
    S3Trayp.exe
    PDVDServ.exe
    RTHDCPL.exe
    avgtray.exe
    jusched.exe
    ctfmon.exe
    LastFM.exe
    CCleaner.exe
    taskmgr.exe
    firefox.exe
    wmplayer.exe
    svgchost.exe
    alg.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    system idle process
    system
    avgemc.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    avgwdsvc.exe
    mDNSResponder.exe
    jqs.exe
    aawservice.exe
    avgrsx.exe
    RichVideo.exe
    spoolsv.exe

startup
    VTTimer.exe
    S3trayp.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Leanguage\Language.exe
    RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

was done using hijackthis not msconfig

ran CCleaner

did a disk defrag
    didn't do anything really. i used the windows one, maybe i should try another

removed programs i don't use anymore

checked for malware

running disk check
    is this windows disk check ok? thats what i'm using

is there anything else i should try?

6. Have you tried using just various computer programs, but without accessing the net. If programs respond quickly, chances are your connection isn't that great or perhaps the sites you're going to are slow to load. Maybe your processor is trying to open up web pages, which is slowing down everything else.

7. jamesedwardcox

yeah

the internet connection is good where i am now. easily the fastest i've used in terms of download speed

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

james. Post a screen shot of Task Manager Procesess. Check show all - and then hit, Image Name before the screenie..
    And since you have done the READ & RUN a screenie, of your CCleaner startup aswell.

Edit to add: As for the "thanks button" LOL it's on the bottom right of a posters post.. Or the right bottom.
    Stay clear LOL

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  9. jamesedwardcox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the thanks button isn't there when you aren't signed in (obviously) so i couldn't see it. i'm pretty stupid

10. jamesedwardcox

i read somewhere on majorgeeks that i should use hijackthis. i had never heard of it 'till the other day!

maybe i will get a different firewall

i will remove the 'unnecessary' items from startup and see what happens then

11. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Ok, your TM is clean. Atleast when you captured the shot. You have start up's that I would remove ....But they are not the prorblem, again as per TM. But to give a go.. Disable all but AVG and ctfmon.. Check all the drives as Appzalien posted..cheers..

12. jamesedwardcox

checked the discs. all fine

and the only thing starting up now is avg

computer still seems the same. went onto a last.fm page to check and see if the internet was working better. same as before

at the top of the page (eg. http://www.last.fm/music/The+Beatles) it is really laggy still. it seems to slow my whole computer down being on a website where there are lots of pictures/videos like that. while scrolling at the top of page my cpu usage goes up to over 50%. on page like this is goes up to about 15% if i scroll up and down

dont know what that means or why that would be. maybe its related to why my computer is slow

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds