Help! - Nero Causing ME to go BSOD!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Robocrap, May 16, 2005.

1. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

My Nero Burning Rom (v5) software's been happily working for 4 years. Now, as soon as I've cleared up the problem with not being able to see my USB drives (unrelated?), I suddenly find that Nero goes BSOD every time I press the "Burn" button! Tried re-installing, tried removing CD-RW from device manager & letting ME find it again on boot-up - no go, crashes every time you get to "Burn". This is the fault on BSOD - "File Name: IOS(01) + 0000186E Error : 0E : 0028 : C003C17E" Anyone got a clue?

Computer :
    Operating System Microsoft Windows ME
    OS Service Pack -
    Internet Explorer 5.50.4134.0100 (IE 5.5 - Windows Me)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 1000 MHz (7.5 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Asus MED 2001
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
    System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Medallion (02/12/01)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Storage
    IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    Optical Drive IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32 (8x/4x/32x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive LITEON DVD-ROM LTD122 (12x/40x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

BIOS Properties
    Vendor Award Software, Inc.
    Version ASUS MED 2001 ACPI BIOS Revision 1007
    Release Date 02/12/2001
    Size 256 KB

Boot Devices
    Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM
    Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
    Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
    Expansion Capabilities PCI, AGP

Optical Drive Properties
    Device Description IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32
    Manufacturer HP
    Device Type CD-RW
    Speed 8x/4x/32x

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Are you eligible for an update?

You are using a fairly old version, 5, try updating to the latest one.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Your machine can handle WinXP, I would do the upgrade. More of an issue with WinME, not so much Nero.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

brownizs,

Its better for the poster to fix the original problem rather than upgrade. More often than not, upgrading your OS to fix broken software leads to broken software, in a different OS.

Robo, have you tried reinstalling Nero?

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes it is an error with this older copy of Nero, but upgrading to Nero would be a cost, and yes the OS would be also, but doing both would resolve a lot of issues, especially with the fact that ME is very unfriendly to a lot of software out there.

6. Insomniac

How do you know that with any certainty?

He could very well be eligible for an upgrade, even if only to 6.0.

7. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

All this talk of upgrades doesn't explain why it's all worked OK for the last 4 years. Eligible? I don't know if I'm eligible for an upgrade. I tried downloading the latest version of Nero but then found it was only a trial. The old version I have on the OEM disks that came with my computer, so the first thing I did was uninstall/re-install. Didn't I mention that on my original post?

8. Insomniac

Look for an update download as opposed to a demo.

Not too sure if you are eligible, but generally Nero let you update in the same number sequence, for example 3 -> 4 and 5 ->6.

Doesn't explain why it ran okay for 4 years, but if you are eligle for an update it's well worth doing.

Anyway, a couple of things to try are the Nero Info Tool, and see if Nero itself will start okay in Safe Mode without BSOD.

9. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

Right, found updates on Nero website & updated that - no good - still goes BSOD the instant you touch "Burn".

Nero Info Tool I haven't seen yet - I'll look for that later.

Safe mode burn - try that later too (I'm at work now!!!)

Sneaky suspicion note: before this problem, the other day I noticed the icon in my taskbar for Windows Media Player had gone - replaced by the "DOS Window" default icon. Looked at target folder to find MediaPlayer almost totally uninstalled (Not me!). Went online & downloaded MediaPlayer latest version, which now includes CD burning capability! Possible conflict here with currently installed Nero?

10. Insomniac

No, I doubt there is a conflict.

Windows Media Player contains a Nero plug-in by default as the burning engine.

Whether the two mysterious events are related is hard to say?

Anyway, try my other suggestions and see how you go.

Good luck.

11. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

This is a laugh!

I found the Nero Info Tool on their website, but when I run it, it gets as far as listing cd-related software and crashes every time! Error message comes up saying "The program has caused an error in INFOTOOL.EXE and will be terminated" or something like that. Then I re-installed windows in desperation, but that made no difference.

I haven't tried the safe mode thing, but what difference is that likely to make? I'm worried that if the computer crashes out while in safe mode, I may not be able to get it back again.

12. Insomniac

I suggested Safe Mode because it only loads the basic Windows files and no programs, incase Nero was crashing because of a conflict with a program running in the background.

Don't be afraid of Safe Mode, your PC has more chance of crashing in normal operation.

If Nero is still doing the same thing in Safe Mode, then it's more than likely hardware related. (possible, but unlikely)

When you re-installed Windows, what other burning software was also installed?

A conflict with another burning application, like Roxio for example (especially older versions), is the most likely culprit.

13. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

Hello Insy,

Well I ran Nero in safe mode, and it spat out an error message before it even finished loading:

"The WIN-ASPI file '?.?' can't be found, therefore you can currently select only image recorders. Please check for correct Windows ASPI Manager installation of your SCSI-Host Adaptor software. (Error 12: init failed!)"

I've been searching all night for a download to fix this, and finally got some instruction on exactly the same problem albeit related to upgrade to XP from ME, on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302809.

I quote:
    "Nero - Burning Rom. The Win-ASPI file "Wnaspi32.dll" cannot be found, therefore you can currently select only image recorders. Please reinstall Nero to receive a Windows ASPI Manager installer."

So I wiped Nero off once again, also wiped off Adaptec DirectCD just in case of conflict. I haven't got Roxio software on here but you remember I mentioned having updated Windows Media Player? I noticed that uses a Roxio burn engine when burning music CD's (which works!). I had a look round Windows Uninstaller but there's nothing there to allow the uninstallation of Media Player, so I left it on, re-started the PC and re-installed Nero.

Guess what? It still craps out when I try to burn using Nero. I'm sick of this now. It's going to end up with a complete wipe of the hard drive isn't it? Then a total rebuild of my PC. I've emailed Nero support twice now but no response.

14. Insomniac

Nero support are normally pretty reliable.

As far as ASPI, it's only XP that doesn't include it by default, Windows 9 x does, but it's not very stable.

All I can suggest is to use ForceASPI (freeware) to delete and reinstall your ASPI layer. Follow the instructions supplied and don't miss any steps, and persevere with Nero support if unsuccessful.

15. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

Nah! No good Insy. Got ForceASPI but makes no difference - still B-SOD's every time you go near "Burn". Also looked at your remark about MediaPlayer9 coming with a Nero plugin - mine didn't, it came with a Roxio plugin, but I downloaded a Nero plugin for MPlayer from the Nero site. (Didn't do me any good tho').
    Looked at uninstalling MediaPlayer9 but that looks like a no-go, Been doing some reading and it looks like if you upgrade to MP9 you've got it for life, like it or hate it! There is no associated uninstaller with it and nothing in your add/remove programs!
    Anyway I've had my head bent over this PC all day today as the missus went and put "Search Assistant" on here yesterday! Have you had a dose of that yet? It's twice now for me and this time was worse - it's the biggest bastard hijacker to try & remove; hammer & chisel job!

16. Insomniac

Hijack This is the best tool to remove Search Assistant, but I strongly suggest you go to the Spyware Forum for removal and recommendations.

As far as removing WMP9, is it listed in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel), then Add/Remove Windows Components?

Anyway, suggest you concentrate on removing Search Assistant completely, then returning to the original problem.

If Nero Support cannot help and you can't get the program to work, CDBurner XP Pro is an excellent freeware alternative.

17. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

Yo! Insy!

I'm telling you, once you download WMP9 you've got it for life! That means:

NO UNINSTALLER PROGRAM

NO ENTRY IN WINDOWS ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (Control Panel).

I've read of people manually deleting ALL FILES AT ONCE in the installation folder, as doing them one at a time leads to them regenerating themselves. (Must be a trick that Microsoft have learned from the new talent they've recruited from 180SearchAssistant!) What I don't like about that is the orphaned links & registry entries that get left behind, and the choas that they might cause.

Hijack This! was completely unable to deal with this last incarnation of Search Assistant (About:Blank) hijacker that I got. It would clean the files, but a second later the whole thing would regenerate and it was all back on again! Then I dowloaded Adware Away, which claimed to be the only software in the world capable of completely removing Search Assistant/About:Blank. Rubbish! It did no better than Hijack This! or Spybot Search & Destroy.

I knew from the start which file was offending thanks to Spybot. It was C:\Windows\System\fbpl.dll, which was activated by the registry run command to RUNDLL.EXE, and it also unleashed a trojan downloader just for good measure. I couldn't delete it 'cos windows was using it, and disabling the run command didn't work either, it just re-installed itself about every 10 seconds.

Thank God for DOS! I used the ME boot floppy to boot into dos, took out the .dll (which probably morphs it's name with each new installation) and then ran Hijack This!, Adware Away, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster and AVG Antivirus to clean up the residue - Job Done!

The Nero thing may be getting somewhere. I finally got an acknowledgement from techsupport@nero this morning to say they were looking at it, so watch this space!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds