Windows Installer keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Software' started by sargentrs, May 10, 2008.

1. sargentrs

sargentrs Private E-2

anything and everything having to do with Internet Explorer, like opening IE or clicking on a hyperlink (even though Firefox is my default browser, causes Windows Installer to pop up saying "Preparing to Installer". Takes a couple of minutes then IE opens up but page is blank and my homepage is in the address bar, then Installer pops up again for a couple more minutes, then my homepage opens up. Been going on for a while now. Annoying as crud! Any suggestions? I've been through the malware removal issues and you guys have helped tremendously on that. Thanks! By the way, Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2

2. Googleyed

Googleyed Private E-2

:majorWhen anything like this happens, it's better to re-format, cleans all the crap out & is quicker in the long run.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

At this point, I think a re-format is a bit drastic, but if you have nothing to lose or everything is backed up, then go for it. But, if a reformat is a last resort, try running the Installer Clean Up Tool from Microsoft. Uninstalling and re-installing MSInstaller 3.1 may be a good idea too. And there's always Dial-A-Fix which has an Installer repair option. Here's some links:
    Installer CleanUp Tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us
    MS Installer 3.1 download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en
    Dial-A-Fix http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

Good luck! I hope this helps!

:major
    [dlb]

4. sargentrs

sargentrs Private E-2

Followed your suggestions. Still popping up. I guess I'll just live with it until I can beg/borrow/buy a remote hard drive. Got WAY too much to back up to CD. Then do a full restore. No biggie. I use Firefox anyway and it's NO problem. Thanks!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When windows installer pops up, do you have any idea what it is trying to install?
    There is a windows installer cleanup tool but you should know exactly wht program, using windows installer, is the problem.

If you click on a hyperlink in FF, you also get this windows installer message if I understand correctly.

6. sargentrs

sargentrs Private E-2

No problems in Firefox. Clicking on a hyperlink within Firefox works fine. Only happens with anything trying to open IE. Interesting enough, my default browser is Firefox, however, when I have a hyperlink in an Outlook 2000 email, it tries to open it in IE and the Installer pops up. Appears to be Microsoft related. Have uninstalled/reinstalled Installer several times. Can't tell what it's trying to open. Any way to tell?

7. plodr

It's not the windows installer that is the problem. Other programs use the windows installer to install. (For example, I run CounterSpy and it uses the windows installer so when I uninstall CS and want to be sure all traces are off, I use the windows installer cleanup utility).

8. sargentrs

sargentrs Private E-2

Thanks, that worked for imbedded hyperlinks in my emails. Been having to copy and paste into the Firefox address bar. I've run the Installer cleanup utility several times and uninstalled/reinstalled several times. Still have a problem opening IE though. Never did like IE anyway.;) Thanks again!

9. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds