Internet stopped working / Yellow sign next to drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joey Jiggles, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Hey guys,

My other work laptop has not been connected to the internet for a while. I noticed in the drive manager / network adapters there were some yellow warning signs. I can't even get it to connect when I hardwire the ethernet cable. Any steps to help me with this?

My computer is a Dell Latitude 810.

Thank you.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is your OS ? You must give us your service tag which is located at the bottom of the laptop !! :wave

Attached Files:

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

4. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Service Tag: 53wyh91

5. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok. So I did that and then what.. I go to the drivers section and category network? Then download those 2 drivers that come up? Isn't there sometimes a certain order to install drivers?

6. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.. see screen shot.

Attached Files:

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

so does anyone have any idea on why I can't hardwire / connect to the internet?? I just post the device manager because I thought that would help. Are there any steps for me to take? Would love to fix this problem!

9. falconattack

Hi my friend , follow this !! :wave

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok - right click to yellow device - Properties - Details - scroll down the arrow finding Hardware ids - there is a code in the box , we need it ( select all - copy - paste ) the code here

10. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Ok so I did what you told me to each one with a yellow marker on the device.

The first 3 (from the top) said: ms_pschedmp

And the last one said: ms_l2tpminiport

11. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

See if resetting TCP/IP helps. This is for XP SP2 and later.

At the command window of an admin account type the following:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

12. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

It came back with the typical: This Page Cannot be displayed

13. tgell

You still have the yellow exclamation marks?

14. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

still there.

15. tgell

Right click on the network icon in the system tray, select open network connections. Right click on your connection and select properties. Under this connection uses the following items, is TCP/IP checked? Is Client for Microsoft Networks checked?

16. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

yes.. both are checked and they are both checked for my wireless and local area connection.

17. tgell

Try uninstalling both network devices and then reboot. Might have to update the drivers. When you reboot you should only have two exclamation marks one for the NIC and the other for the wireless adapter.

Edit: but I think XP is missing some network component.

18. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

you are the man tgell. It worked!

19. tgell

Glad you got it sorted. :) Thanks for the feedback.

20. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

Tgell.. I don't know if I should move this post since it's a different issue, but after I got everything up and running the computer had 29 window updates. I did all of the updates (until it froze towards the last 3) and downloaded firefox. Now the computer just sits at 100% cpu usage and is really hard to work with.

21. tgell

I would probably start a new thread. If rebooting the computer again does not work, try doing a system restore just before the updates. When I have that many updates, I usually do a few at a time.

22. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

ok.. should I start it in the software section I am assuming?

23. tgell

Right, in the software section. If you do a ctrl, Alt, del to bring up task manager, it may give a clue on what is eating up your CPU.

24. Joey Jiggles

Joey Jiggles Corporal

I will put it over there now then.. here is a snapshot of my computer without internet even being opened. It's still using crazy amounts of CPU.

Attached Files:

25. falconattack

Hi my friend , here is your drivers

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04

you must choose Network from Category list , you must download the drive - saving it to C:\Users\name\Downloads - running exe file - afterwards you have to restart your machine , do you have Xp pro in your system ? :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds