Windows XP - Slow to boot after Windows updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by lanaba, Mar 23, 2008.

1. lanaba

lanaba Private E-2

I just did a clean reinstall of Windows XP, because it got stuck shutting down (at the Windows is shutting down screen), and when I booted it back up, it stayed at a black screen for about 10 minutes before booting up. After installing Windows again, I had no problems, until I just installed some new Windows updates. Now I'm having the same problem as before, except that it shuts down ok.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, 1gb ram, 60gb hard drive, pentium 4 processor.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Dell_CA

Dell_CA Private E-2

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products.

If the problem only shows up after you install the Windows updates then it’s a pretty safe bet to say that they are what’s causing the problem. The tricky part comes with finding out which update is causing it and what that update does. Then you can decide if you want to install it or not. Unfortunately, the only way to really see which one is causing the error is to uninstall them all (or at least the latest ones you’ve installed) and then reinstall them one at a time. I know it’s not the quickest method, but it should work.

You should be able to see which Windows updates are installed in the Add/Remove programs window in the Control Panel. If you don't see them at first there will be a tic box at the top of the panel that says "show updates."

Mike
    Dell customer advocate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds