Outlook has committed suicide....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Scooter McGraw, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Scooter McGraw

Scooter McGraw Private E-2

Hi

I have MS Office 2000 Premium on my desktop (running Windows XP) , and I see no need to update it.

However, since Sunday, every time I try to open Outlook up it starts to load then dies. I have no idea why, but maybe this had an effect on it.

I was using iTunes to update my phone and the computer was dragging itself very slowly so I checked task manager and noticed CPU usage was at 100%. There were two apple.outlook etc etc processes running so I ended the process on one of them. If that did make a difference, how can I get that process to run again to get Outlook back to normal?

The only alternative is to do an uninstall/reinstall, but I am very worried about losing all of my work that is on Word and Outlook. Does anyone have a painless cure for this ill?

All help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

First thing I would try is System Restore to Sunday or previous. If it doesn't help you can reverse it. It won't touch your personal files at all.

3. Scooter McGraw

Hi

I have tried that. I go to system restore, choose a previous date that is in bold, do a restore, then it tells me no changes were made to my computer so it cannot restore it! Very odd.

I am starting to think that my computer is on it's last legs. It does lots of strange things. My home network now no longer works inexplicably, and the cherry on the cake is that I cannot get into safe mode by booting up and tapping the F8 key!!

I just can't face the fact that I have to part with £500 for a new computer I can ill afford, and having to transfer all that stuff that I will need on a new one :(

4. Earthling

Have you run any malware scans?

5. Scooter McGraw

I have the PC tools Internet Suite, that includes antivirus ptotection in realtime and scanning shows nothing.

Should I run another brand too?

Cheers

6. Earthling

I would certainly run at least one other on-demand scanner, such as MBAM. Update it after installation and before scanning.

7. Scooter McGraw

Hi

I did just that but the problem still remains. I did reply to you last night but for some reason the post seems to have gone!! Maybe it's my shoite computer playing around again.

I did mention that this computer I think maybe heading for the knacker's yard. As well as the System Restore oddity, I also cannot get into safe mode. I can restart it and tap F8 until I'm blue in the face, it just won't do it.

But since I don't have £500 to spend on a new computer, I'm going to have to stick with this one. If only I could get her running properly again :(

Cheers

8. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds