PCI wireless adapter or USB Dongle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loki1717, Jul 27, 2008.

1. loki1717

loki1717 Private E-2

Situation: So, I have 2 computers, each in separate rooms. One has internet, on doesn't. I have the one with internet (Computer A) connected to a NetGear RangeMax wireless Router via Ethernet. Computer B is too far from the router to be hooked up via Ethernet, so I decided I would take the wireless approach.

Conflict: I did some research and my 2 primary options are either a wireless PCI card or a USB dongle.

Other Info: Computer B and the router are on the same floor. Microwave is far away from both. One wall separates them. Computer B's tower is backed up against a wall. Computer B only has 2 front USB ports.

Which is better for me, in regards to connection.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you don't want to lose a USB port, put the dongle in one port and a USB hub in the other so you still have 4 usable USB ports. I have a wireless router on the first floor(ranch house) about 38 feet away from a computer in the basement. So in addition to the 38 feet in length (several plaster walls), it has to extend down to the basement thru an oak floor and subflooring. My husband's computer picks up the signal with a USB dongle with no problem. Truthfully, I was surprised because I fully expected the signal to not reach him that far away.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds