Computer+Broadband connection running very slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coachmike, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Coachmike

Coachmike Private E-2

My computer is running very slow, and my broadband connection is probably about as fast as a 56k modem. I hooked my friends computer to my connection and the internet works normally on his machine. I have tryed reinstalling windows xp and still no luck on getting it fixed. Could this be a hardware problem or likely something wrong with windows xp? How can I find out whats causeing the problem? Should I try a clean reinstall and if so can someone please tell me how to format my c: drive when the only partition is the one windows xp is installed on? I will be very very thankful for any insight into how to fix my PC.

Windows Xp sp1
    Intel p4 1.6
    512 ddr
    9600pro 128ddr

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

try using his network card in your computer. Also try a different cat 5 cable. If you reinstalled windows I dont see any reason there should be a difference except hardware.

3. monkay01

monkay01 Private E-2

Have You Check The System For Spyware? Spyware Can Slow Your Connection To A Crawl And Cuase Other Assorted Problems On Your PC. I Recommend Running Both Spybot S&D And Ad-Aware SE To Eliminate Any Spyware Problem. Also Have You Tried Updating The Drivers For You NIC? You Can Find Spybot At http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html And Ad-Aware SE At http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html. Make Sure To Update Them Both And Run Full Scans.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds