Virtual private network for home use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koshinkai, Aug 15, 2011.

1. koshinkai

koshinkai Private E-2

HI hi...

With all the pressure at the moment on Internet use there is a rise in concern about the privacy of data being sent over the internet... Frankly if your not happy with close friends reading your diary then why the hell should you be comfortable with government org's and goddess knows who else sifting though your internet data...

This is where my problem lies.. It appears using a VPN is a really good solution to this issue... So can some of you pro's in here explain VPN for nubs like myself and recommend some good ones to use... Or if there is already a good post on this send me in the right direction...

Some help in this matter would be much appreciated...

Peace.....

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

There is no need in a home, unless you are connecting to work through VPN. If you want to play with, just because, you can use pfSense on a extra box to play around. In all reality, you are posting on here from your home, and have stated what you are doing, so in reality, you have no secret. The intent of VPN, is to create a secure connection between two or more LAN's across the Internet or WANs. The offices can be in the same town, or across the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vpn

3. koshinkai

koshinkai Private E-2

Re-try... Aim is to Remain anonymous while transferring data while on the net... Looking at options such as the tor network lead to VPN's ... I.e Average joe transferring data on the net without having a big glowing neon ISP address yelling "hey this is me"...

Have never used a VPN before so don't fully understand them... Can some one recommend some good VPN providers currently looking into looking at anoybittorrent and hide my ***...

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, you can not remain anonymous on the net. VPN is again for connecting two or more LANs or WANs. Even if you anonymous your IP, you leave a trail.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Brownizs has never heard of VPN used to hide your surfing... I use VyperVPN (pay service) by goldendfrog.com there was a free one at http://cyberghostvpn.com/en/surf-anonym.html. (limited bandwidth I think)
    This helps if your ISP does traffic shaping, etc. for home users. Plus I can use a UK server to watch shows ( IT Crowd Rules!) only available in the country. It has a few uses.

I also use a different, corporate VPN end to end to connect to work.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. koshinkai

koshinkai Private E-2

thanks brown and foo...
    Understand 100% security is impossible.... Like locking your bike with a paddlock, any one with a bolt cutter can still steal it... Still better to use one... Trying out hidemy *** (it seems slow so far) will have a look at Vyper see if I get better speeds... Most likely havn't set it up right :(.....

>>>>>>BIG-NUB<<<<<<

peace....

7. nexxevo

nexxevo Guest

Hide my *** i have heard good things about.

Pretty much what you are doing is hiding behind someone elses external ip and they give you access to their internet connection.

So it does work like a normal VPN but it's purpose is to act as a gateway to another internet connection.

There is a slight problem though with being annonymous via this method. You may be showing up as someone elses ip to the rest of the world BUT you will not be annonymous to the company that you use to go through.

your computer via your external ip ---->encrypted info--->hide my *** via their external ip--->------->Internet

so the traffic may be encrypted through your connection to them but the company that forwards that traffic can still see it.

Hope this helps :)

8. koshinkai

koshinkai Private E-2

Thanks for the Information Nex :)...

So it appears while using a VPN the ip provider should see data and nothing else???

Two days into using HMA and am really happy with them soo far....

Peace....

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, because you are in what is considered a "Walled Garden". That is as the info I posted before is how VPN works. It is basically a tunnel between one or multiple LANs & WaNs, using the Internet as the device for connecting between them.

10. koshinkai

koshinkai Private E-2

rofl tks brown...

I love that name "Walled Garden"...

never heard it before but sounds like a great place for data to be :)...

11. WantMore

WantMore Private E-2

Yes I tried also die GF and I am very very happy with that
    Best vpn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds