I want a "GOOD" Search Engine any suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by amiart, Dec 12, 2010.

1. amiart

amiart Private E-2

Google is throwing up results based upon who has paid them and NOT upon the best match.

Please offer some alternatives to Google that give better results for the search.

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Your thread was moved to the Software Forum as this is not a topic for the Malware Forum.

You are incorrect, however, on how Google works.

3. amiart

amiart Private E-2

Google is NOT giving good results. The top spots are reserved for those that Paid. They are giving results for products based in countires NOT our own. They give results that are influenced by the size of the company and NOT the best match.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Wrong.

Google provides results based upon number of site hits. Obviously, large corporate sites get a LOT of hits, so they end up being near the top of the list. However, if another website becomes more popular, it rises up in the ranks. This is how ALL search engines work.

Google doesn't make their money with their search engine, much like Nintendo (ex. Wii), Sony (ex. PS3, PSP), and Microsoft (ex. Xbox 360) don't make money on their game consoles. While these things are viewed as top products, they're not the money makers. As far as consoles go, the companies sell them for at or below cost, and make up their revenue from game royalties. Another example: gas stations. Gas stations make barely any money off of gas. Their primary income is from candy, second income from alcohol (beer), third from tobacco.

Google makes their money from the other million things they do. Yes, results listed on the RIGHT of the search results are paid advertisements (which Google makes money from), but actual search results have nothing to do with money.

With all of that said, Google remains one of the best search engines, especially if you know how to use the advanced search functions. Google "advanced search engine functions" (with quotes) to see what I'm talking about.

Side note: I personally think Gmail is the best thing since sliced bread, because you have all of the Google search functions within the email system, plus they group the emails into conversations. Not to mention the labeling system and a slew of other goodies that no other email service has.

5. amiart

amiart Private E-2

Do you still believe in the tooth fairy ? The results are highly skewed based upon who has paid for the listing etc.

Do a search and try and find blackberry plants. See what results you get. You get results from the U.K. or for the phones mainly. There are hundreds of small nurseries that specialize in growing blackberries. But primarly the large ones show up or the phones.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Apparently you just suck at searching.

Try this on for size: Blackberry plants Google results

7. amiart

amiart Private E-2

tyty
    aaronsfarm ...

etc.

Show up in nearly all garden/tree related searches i.e.
    they have paid for placement.

They they put the advice comments suggestions etc. that have
    paid for placement.

Then they put repeats of some of the above. with one or two
    decent results mixed in occassionally.

Then they put the NOT your region results in as well.

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I'm not going to argue with you. Obviously you're bent on bashing Google.

Good luck with that... meanwhile, try reading the replies to you in this thread (including mine) and LEARNING a few things.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

http://www.google.com/search?client...plants+71201&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You must be one with the Google. 4'th one on the list after the highlighted results, shows blackberry's by parish. Google is not perfect, and might have some $ bias, but it is free for the user, and a very good search engine.

I know people who love Bing: http://www.bing.com/?FORM=MFEHPG&PUBL=Google&CREA=userid1743go51d367c64cb6b50c6d8b0b7fe5f35618

Here are some: http://www.bing.com/search?q=search+engines&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-14

Search engines are tools. Like all other tools, some are easier to use than others.

10. amiart

amiart Private E-2

Google of eight years ago is better than google today at doing searches. Not it is NOT results driven it is advertiser driven. IT SUCKs.

11. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

Then find another search engine and quit crying about it over here. Not that hard to do.

12. amiart

amiart Private E-2

Hey jerk that is what I am trying to do. ONE that is NOT ad driven.

13. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Would you like a paid subscription search engine? Those are available. Ones I've used in the past charge $200+/year and they are specialized search engines (not all-encompassing).

If you're asking for free, then get used to the ads. The entire WORLD is ad-driven, especially the internet. Of course, I still maintain that Google doesn't provide results AS advertisements.

If you want handouts, make a cardboard sign and stand on a street corner.

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The way you are going about it is Not going to get you far at Major Geeks.

You have been rude in every one of your posts, either cut it out or you'll be banned.

15. amiart

amiart Private E-2

People are beratting and insulting . I am stating a FACT that google results are ad driven and not SEARCH Results driven.

16. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I have seen arguments against your supposition that google's results are not search driven. No one has berated you. Calling people jerks is not the answer. We are more than happy to have intelligent informed discussions here, but just stating that everyone is wrong (after they have listed their views) and not offering up any facts of your own to support your argument really isn't going to fly. It's almost like you came here looking for a fight.

There are many search engines: AOL, Yahoo, etc.

Comprehensive List of Search Engines.....take your pick.

Obviously, most people here would say google is the most accurate at this point.

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would go for http://search.yippy.com/ its what is called a cluster search engine, and good for narrowing down your search criteria.

Dogpile or Webcrawler (which uses a few search engines to get your results, so its not just one and ranked on any ad payments etc)

Personally I use Bing and Yippy as I dont rate Google much these days, but thats a personal opinion based on search results and nothing to do with if the rankings are ad payment or not biased.

18. oma

oma MajorGeek

Personally I use Ixquick a lot and am happy about the search results although one gets perhaps a few pages and not 2 million. It narrows down the search and I like that. If I want more then I use Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. Check it out if it works for you. https://www.ixquick.com/eng/

Yes, the highest ranked website that pops up at the top when doing a search in Google is the one that people clicked on most. Bet that most search engines work the same way.

19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

20. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Yeah I find Dogpile quite good.

21. Tigule

Tigule Private E-2

metacrawler.com / .co.uk .. my top pick better than any search engine i have used google, yahoo, bing ect

22. becolt

becolt Private E-2

Hmph. Never have a problem with google, but I tend to use all the modifiers:
    -frog: subtracts the web pages that have the word "frog" on them.
    +frog: only includes those pages
    "frog attack": will look for that exact phrase.
    -"frog attack": will subtract it, etc.

Add in the search tools on the left (date, timeline...) and you get pretty specific results.

23. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

Hi Amiart and welcome to MG. I've been a member here for a few years and in my honest opinion, there is no better site and no better collection of members.

I can't ever recall a time where another member insulted or berated me and I also don't recall seeing it happen to others either.

You opinion about Google seems to be pretty firm, though others don't seem to share your distain.

The best suggestion that I can offer is to try Yahoo, Bing or any of the countless others and see what suits your personal taste.

My apologies to the mods if I'm overstepping my boundries, just trying to offer up some friendly advice. :wave

24. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I suppose one of the reasons you like ixquick is because of their Privacy Policy

Although this has nothing to do with search 'results', I think the design and art work at Bing are beautiful.

25. oma

oma MajorGeek

One of the reasons yes. The other ones are that when doing a search only the relevant pages pop up and WOT addon works as well with it. https://www.ixquick.com/eng/what-makes-ixquick-special.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds