What do you think is the best system optimizer? [2014]

Discussion in 'Software' started by Android82, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Hello, I was wondering what you guys think is the best system optimizer. Please note that if you do not use system optimizers, there is an option in the poll that says you do not use system optimizers. The poll can be found here: http://freemium.polldaddy.com/s/best-system-optimizer-2014

Feel free to discuss optimizers in this thread!

2. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I don't think any of the "optimizers" are worth anything.

Just upgrade CPU and add Ram and DSL speed.

3. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I agree with with the staff sergeant on the first part but some of us can't just be upgrading. I like individual tools for a specific purpose better than systemwide utilities. I keep a folder "Tools" with the ones I use ready to do their work. Combined together this probably does better than an optimization suite. If I use a suite I usually uncheck several procrdures and allow it to run the few I think it does well. Of course I'm not dependant on this computer so I can afford the risk.

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

The thing is that these Optimizers don't do anything you can't do - and be safer.

Defrag, empty recycle bin delete temp files.

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

A great program for removing temp files-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

I would have linked to MG downloads, but I didn't see it.

Also remember to click "custom" and decline any crap it wants to add- like search engines, home page, etc.

The download will still run.

I also do disc cleanup on a regular basis

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

As far as I have seen they are gimmicks many cause issues, like above do your recommended maintenance and you will do fine.

7. Imandy Mann

@android82 Are you considering an optimizer suite or trying to recommend one?

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The best tool you have is between your ears. And with a little Google help. :-D

Not a fan of the all in one optimizer type programs. Set it up yourself.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wrote my own powershell script for cleaning temp files.

It is very effective, moreso than apps Ive tried.

10. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

I'm considering an optimizer suite. I'm asking people what they think is the best one or if they think they are even useful.

11. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I think you've gotten your answer - most feel they are useless and even dangerous.

12. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

And stay well away from anything that advertizes "registry cleaning"!

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can you link that script? :)

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sadly, I cannot. Its an internal script at work and sharing it would be bad for my health. :(

Otherwise I would be happy to.

15. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

When all else fails...

:-D

Attached Files:

16. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

I apologize for not explaining my thread well enough. I was hoping to do kinda a study using the poll to see what optimizers users prefer or if they think they are just trash. My goal is to get as many responses as possible to the poll to ensure the most accurate answers. I would then use the results to find a good optimizer or just not use them and publish the results to help other people too.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would suspect on this forum that few use a generic all in one optimizer. On the computers I deal with, it is one of the first things uninstalled.

18. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yep, as said time and time again, WE ourselves are the best optimizers. ;)

19. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

It really seems that you are hell-bent in getting someone to tell you what you want to hear : i.e - that Optimizers ar great.

Everyone here has told you the opposite - just do your maintenance and clean the insides periodically and that will be sufficient.

If you do download an Optimizer, you'd better make sure to do image backups ( as with Macrium) or you will surely be asking for help in the BSOD or Malware sections.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

20. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

I mean that I'm trying to find out what is the best optimizer or if I should just not use them.

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Don't use them. You need to learn your computer system and do your own tweaks not rely on some 3rd party program.

22. theefool

theefool Geekified

The following are the optimizers that I use.

If using a lot of ram, I tend to shrink the page file to 4072, which saves my SSD a bit.

I then turn off hibernate: powercfg /hibernate off

This frees up the hiberfil.sys file, which can take up the same space as you have ram (in my case, 64 GB).

There are others, but they will prevent you from uninstalling windows updates, in case of bugs, etc. Which I don't want to post in case someone runs them anyway and then have issues later.

23. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Some of the best advise you will find here is in this article with a collection of Tools and Tutorials.
    How to Make Your Computer Run Like New in 4 Easy Steps

I suggest these tweaks as well.

Reduce the amount of disk space allocate to System Protection (called System Restore in XP)
    How to Change Maximum Disk Space Used by System Protection and System Images in Windows 7

Use the Windows Disk Cleanup tool.
    Be sure to take advantage of the Windows Update Cleanup.

Open Windows Explorer, right click on the system drive, select Properties and the Disk Cleanup on the General tab.

Add Windows Update Cleanup option to Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 7
    If your system drive is a Solid State drive, follow the suggestions from thefool.
    • Turn Off Hibernation.
    • If you have a 64-bit version of Windows and 6GB or more of RAM, you can reduce the size of the pagefile.
    • Disable Automatic Defragmenting !!

24. Imandy Mann

Just curious. How or what did the poll reflect? I guess it's an open poll? Didn't have to be registered to respond? Results could be all over the map.

25. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

What?

26. Imandy Mann

Most of your first post was about a poll? I was curious what has the poll shown?

27. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I thought your post couldn't have been any clearer.

Don't know what "what" means.:confused

28. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

It currently shows that the majority of users think ccleaner is the best free optimizer and users do not think there is any good paid optimizer.

There were already some existing votes because I have asked people in another forum to fill out this survey/poll before. I have done this to get the most accurate and least bias results as some forums hate optimizers and some partially support optimizers.

29. theefool

theefool Geekified

I use ccleaner, and I pay for it, mostly to support it.

30. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Please make sure to vote in the poll. When the results are published, it will be a lot easier for users to find their answer since they won't have to go through the posts and count who supports what.

31. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Would it be acceptable to bump this thread? I know it's frowned upon but as I said before, it would be great to get a lot of votes to increase accuracy. With more people voting, there is more of a chance to get a more diverse audience that vary from expertise, views on optimizers, personal experience, computer purpose (work, gaming, etc), etc.

32. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

But my option is not in the poll.......
    I reinstall fairly often. In the long run it works better for me.
    All my games are on a storage drive and do not have to be installed. Most of my other programs are on the storage drive and install quickly. All my install info is in notes on my iPhone.
    Optimizers are not a bad idea, but a fresh install works better for me. A fresh install also makes me check for updates. I consider reinstalling like changing oil in the truck. I really don't care what the contaminants are because it is easier to change than reclaim the oil and I am 100% sure of the result.

33. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

I believe there is an "Other" option in the poll, you can submit your method there. :)

34. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I think I need that right now for my gaming rig as it's doing my head in completely

35. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Hey guys, for the 2015 version, I was thinking of changing how the system works. Rather then categorizing it into the best free and paid optimizer (if any), what if I made sections like the best one for ease of use, effectiveness, etc. What do you guys think?

36. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

37. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Use CCleaner with the CCEnhancer on most PCs in the house. Defrag on rare occasions, max out RAM on older machines, and read and use some of the suggestions found here and on other sites like tweakhound.com. and speedguide.net. Haven't used an "optimizer" program in quite some time.

38. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Ain't that the truth?:-D:-D

39. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

So I'm guessing that's a no?

40. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure everyone who has chosen to participate has given you their answer. Bumping this thread and continuing to ask the same question is not going to change the answer. Most of the people here on a regular basis are very knowledgeable in regards to tech and computers.

So as far as this:

I would say that you will get the exact same response and that would be that the consensus is that you shouldn't use them regardless of categorization.

I have no idea why you are being so persistent in regards to this, but your original post has been answered. If you don't like the suggestions, I'm sure you could find a site promoting system optimizers that would be happy to respond in the way it seems you would like.

41. isac

isac Private E-2

Auslogics Boost Speed 7.;)

42. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Sorry, I should of been more clear. The "i guess that's no?" is because I didn't understand the other post which I believe was responding to the proposed change. I am perfectly fine with people saying they don't use optimizers I just want more responses because of the reasons I listed previously. I am not trying to side with optimizers, I just want to make sure that the results are as accurate and non bias as possible.

43. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Results are out and poll closed, I'd greatly appreciate it if a mod could add the results to the OP.

Best free optimizer
    First place: CCleaner 4 Free with 14 votes (61%)
    Second place: Glary Utilities 5 Free with 4 votes (17%)
    Third place: I don't use a system optimizer with 2 votes (9%)

Best paid optimizer
    First place: I don't use a system optimizer with 6 votes (27%)
    Second place: TuneUp Utilities 2014 with 5 votes (23%)
    Third place: CCleaner 4 Professional with 3 votes (14%)

Full results can be viewed here:
    Free: http://s8.postimg.org/8roztyp1h/free_results.png
    "Other option" was TuneUp Pro, I'm guessing they put it in the wrong category.

Paid: http://s8.postimg.org/y6niqq345/paid_results.png
    "Other option" was self knowledge.

44. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I think most optimizers are a bit like snake oil, they will profess to do wonderful things to speed up your PC, while in a few cases they may, in the majority all they are doing is cleaning temp files be those left over installer, internet/cookies/temps etc

These things you can do in the majority with the built in Windows Disk Clean-up tool, that said some of the tools like CCleaner are less aggressive than many so is generally looked at as a good tool to clean-up temps and junk, however you need to look at what these apps are cleaning, you maybe removing log files from an Security app, thus the app thinks you have not scanned, you maybe removing settings from a specific app or Most Recent used file list, some users like these, but using an optimizer removes many of these logs.

I use CCleaner and advise users too, as I mentioned its not too aggressive in locations it scans.

The registry cleaner components of many of these optimizers I don't advise (CCleaner I may as last resort) as they are over aggressive and some scan various HIVE areas they should not scan, you are also in running a registry scanner opening yourself to corruption of the registry HIVES. Now the alternate old school way of knowing what is in the registry and what HIVES are what, locations of various components and how to edit them takes time, which is why in some cases I do recommend using the likes of CCLeaner (with registry backup) to clean in cases of where it looks as if an old application could be causing conflicts.

Now the main crux of registry scanning and "snake oil" is that it is no magical bullet to speed up your PC or give you loads of space back as the registry is not that large mine is 165mb (location C:\Windows\System32\config) so shaving 1 or 2mb of this is not going to mysteriously speed up your PC to lightening speeds, these optimizers make you believe they are, with fancy GUI and loads of figures on how much they have cleaned.

I would stick to uninstalling software not used, slimming down the startup list, keeping Windows and all apps upto date, use Windows Cleanup, Defrag once in a while, and safe surf as that lessens malware. The modern PCs and Windows from Win 7+ are good at keeping a PC running ok, but its what the end user does on their PC that generally slows a PC down or creates issues (unsafe surfing or downloading = malware, using warez = malware, running too many security apps = conflicts, tweaking the system with random tweaks = instability etc)

Kind of my small take on this subject.

Your poll too small in the N value for Free N=20, you'd would really need a poll with N=1000 to get a representative good statistic, I don't know the responders to your poll but likely friends or contacts on forums, you'd need a large cross section of users novices to pros, young to older. *cant tell my first day back in work was a talk on biostatistics and ROC curves*

But having said that from your data most like free over paid.

45. Android82

Android82 Private E-2

Thank you for the information. How do you suggest I get more responses?

46. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Very difficult on forums as many if you join them and post this question as your fist may seem as spam.

If your a member of some forums and have posted a fair bit on them then ask the admins on those forums if you can post this question to gain some objective data on do people use optimizers or not and if yes which ones and free vs paid.

Don't know if you are in school, college or work, but you can possibly put up a poster (with authorisation first) and see if folk participate.

I think you could get some reasonable data with say 200-300 responses.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds