What's wrong with my Word/Excel files not opening

Discussion in 'Software' started by tegary, Oct 25, 2014.

1. tegary

tegary Private E-2

I have been having problems with some Word and Excel files not opening within the last week or two. The error tonight said... "This file is not in a recognizable format."

I should mention, I have been using this PC with XP running on it, but that's a browser and I can't see why that would affect Word and Excel. Also, it's been working up until the last week or two.

So I made a copy of the file and let the copy open and it has this kind of jibberish instead of text. {I®úocVÛϵ€‰¤‰yº [çCØhAÓ‘µÐ;Î'=×Å÷

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is your installed Office version?

Also, are these files .doc/.xls or .docx/.xlsx files?

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

:confused Huh? Windows XP is an operating system, not a browser.

4. tegary

tegary Private E-2

That's what you get when you have a rebellious teen living with you... an absent minded brain. I know it's not a browser, just stated it's what's running the pc.

It's Word/Excel 2000 and it's .doc/.xls documents. Here's goes another one this morning.

Thanks for your help.

5. tegary

tegary Private E-2

BTW usafveteran, thanks for your service to our country. My nephew is stationed at Dover, DE. God bless.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Did you create these files with Office 2000 on your computer, or did someone send them to you via email?

7. tegary

tegary Private E-2

Yes, I've created them in this software and have opened them many times. I got another error saying the converter file, wswrd632.wpc, couldn't be opened.

Thanks for your help.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds