problems networking Mac and win 7 PC using Bonjour

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogerdc, Oct 26, 2014.

1. rogerdc

rogerdc Private E-2

Bonjour print wizard says “no bonjour printers are available”

Have Mac networked to 2 PC’s. One has win XP, the other win 7 home prem (hereafter referred to as pc2).The printer is attached to the Mac. I can print from the Mac and the XP pc -but not from the win 7 pc (pc 2). Bonjour is installed on both the pc’s. Whenever i open the bonjour print wizard on pc 2, it says “no bonjour printers are available”
    THINGS I HAVE CHECKED OR DONE TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE:
    system pref. > printers& scanners - verified that the Mac is set up for sharing. (see screen shots 1-3 )
    Verified that the network is intact and functioning normally - i can xfer files from one to the other.
    On pc 2 - opened devices & printers - it shows my printer as the default printer
    Attempted to delet and reinstall the printer - when trying to reinstall the printer, got
    error msg “windows could not connect to the printer”
    checked firewall issue - under “allowed programs and features, there was a tic in the
    bonjour service and a tic in the box for home/work network . I understand there is a
    UDP 5353 that needs to be open but i did not know how to access this port to verify
    that it was open

My observations are that pc 2 cannot “see” the printer installed on the other side of the mac. The Mac can see it as does the xp pc. I’m thinking its a firewall issue but don’t know how to go any further. Any and all help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Open control panel-administrative tools-windows firewall with advanced security. Go to inbound and outbound rules. If the port isn't showing make a new rule - select port-input the number- select domain private or public-give a name

3. rogerdc

rogerdc Private E-2

many tks 4 reply - i checked under both inbound and outbound rules but found nothing for udp5353. i did however find under inbound, 4 for bonjour. two of these were udp protocol but no 5353 port. i'm afraid i can't create a port from the info in your first reply- this is really over my head - if you could give me a step by step, i could prob do it. tks again 4 trying to help me

rogerdc

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Go back to inbound or outbound rules you saw before. Open either one. In the right side os screen you'll see action coloum. 2nd down the list is 'New Rule..'. Click new and a new window opens with the 'New Rule Wizard'. Select port then select udp and in the field put in 5353. I would try inbound and outbound in case the computer and printer need to talk back and forth on this port but I don't know if that is so or not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds