What is WinServicesUpdater?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I was having a problem with Opera browser so I tried uninstalling it so I could reinstall. I used Revo and it sent a bunch of items to the Recycle Bin. When I checked the bin to make sure I didn't want anything in it, I saw this blank icon with a blue and yellow shield called WinServicesUpdater. What is that, and should I delete or restore it?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

WinServicesUpdater is installed by the Pokki program which may have been installed by another program. It is adware or a PUP (potentially unwanted program) and can be discarded.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Pokki because of their partnership with Acer.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'n not following. Its unlikely the Acer app is needed if it comes with adware.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Without Pokki, I have no Start menu.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Start menu? Are you sure?

Ahh, Pokki is a windows 8.1 start menu to windows 10 look-a-like.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Yep. I didn't get a Windows start menu so I had to settle for the preinstalled Pokki one.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

10. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

12. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

See above.

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well I just decided to give it a shot and installed Start Menu 8. It asked me to install only one other program, so I hope I didn't skip any accidentally. Also, there's a free game advertised at the top of the menu, which reminds me of Pokki with their game ads everywhere, but I trust, as I downloaded it from here, that that's not adware.

14. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Fair enough.

15. Eldon

Jesse, something that has always worked for me is to disconnect from the internet prior to installing a program. The optional program(s) offered with an IObit program has to be downloaded.

I have installed numerous programs that are labelled Bundleware... and I have no OpenCandy.:cry

16. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sorry, I don't understand this post.

What?!

And what's with the crying smiley? Why would anyone be sad over having no OpenCandy?

17. Eldon

Most, but not all, programs that are labelled bundleware don't have any programs bundled with/in the setup file - they have to be downloaded. If you are not connected to the internet, they can't be downloaded.

Example:
    Last year during the installation of Driver Booster from IObit, in the last window, I left the box next to Install Advanced SystemCare checked. It did not install because it had to be downloaded. It did not download because I was not connected to the internet.

FYI It's still advisable to uncheck all those items you don't want. It's just a matter of time before those unwanted programs are actually bundled with the setup file of the program you are installing.

As for the crying smiley... it's a joke. I'm not to old to like (Open)Candy.

18. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. Sorry, I haven't been up for long. I was confusing the word downloaded with the word installed.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Downloaded does not mean installed, however. I had this conversation with another member, where I installed several iobit apps, cleared my temp files, rebooted, and showed to be completely free of any additional software.

20. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Bit worried. Just uninstalled Start Menu 8 because I suspected it of interfering with a keyboard shortcut I was used to, and I was right, but I chose to use another shortcut for that function instead and reinstall Start Menu 8, and this time it didn't offer me ANY other programs, until the installation had finished, at which point it asked if I wanted Advanced SomethingOrOther. Shouldn't it have asked me to accept or decline a whole load of programs? I'm worried now that I may have installed additional programs without even being warned about them.

21. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Oh no! LOL, it only offered you Advanced SystemCare. If that's all that was offered and you declined, then I highly doubt that anything else was installed.

If you want some bundleware , I'm willing to recommend some more programs. :dood

BTW. What's the current status of your new drive?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  22. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

What I mean is, the first time I installed it, it offered me a whole load of things. Now just one, and that seemed worrying to me.

23. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Hoping to get it installed tomorrow.

24. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Most likely there were references to the previous installation picked up by the installer, hence you were spared being offered all the other junk.

If you look at your list of installed software, do you notice any new additions?

25. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I hope there weren't. I used geek uninstaller. I assumed that would remove all traces.

Anyway, there don't APPEAR to be any suspicious programs lurking, so I think everything's OK.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds