temp folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jul 1, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Win 8.1 64 bit
    I used to run %temp% occasionally and most of the files would disappear. Lately many of them remain. It appears to have to do with permissions.
    In Googling I read that Acrobat had something to do with it but I could not understand the thread.
    My desktop which is almost the same as this clears the temp folder each time as tis used to do.
    Any way to clear the temp folder when it appears no other programs are running?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It isn't necessarily a good idea to delete all temp files, even when you have closed all apps, as some are in use by the system. Recommend you try the more usual methods such as Disk Cleanup or CCleaner.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You are a sight for sore eyes.
    I was used to seeing most of the temp files from %temp% disappear and sometimes some were left as they were being used.
    These however are persistent. I have tried disc cleanup and Ccleaner.
    I also tried %temp% in safe mode.
    Upon Googling I found others with 8.1 had the same issue.

The properties say they have been moved.
    If you feel I should leave them alone, that is good enough for me.

Thank you :wave

Attached Files:

4. Earthling

Sorry, promise I'll make more of an effort in future :-D
    I just run CCleaner once a month and never worry about temp folders/files. Why do you think it necessary to get rid of them?

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I do not think it is necessary to get them removed but was told to check now and then and if there are a lot to run %temp%.

If it is unwise I will not do it.

When you use Ccleaner, do you just use the Windows feature and not the cleaner itself? If so, are there any particular items you uncheck?

The point of the post is that for years I have run %temp% and usually most of the files disappear with the exception of a few now and then which I leave alone. However, this time it is different so I was trying to understand WHY these remain when after all these years they used to disappear.

I did see a lot of this issue when Googling.

I am not concerned as long as it is not a problem.

6. Earthling

I see it as a non-issue peter. I accept CCleaner's defaults for both Windows and Applications and run the cleaner once a month. I'm guessing AtlBo and others may have a more analytical approach to this but I see it as the equivalent of putting the vac round about once a week - little more than that. I don't see that leftover temps can cause system problems, they are just detritus you clear out every so often.

7. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Peter

Normally files and folders that remain in the %temp% folder don't do anything else than waste a bit of space on your hard drive. And normally deleting them won't do any harm either. Files and folders that can't be removed are still in use or require elevated permissions. I recomment you to leave those untouched if you're unsure.

Programs are further developed and they change their behavior. Also you may have installed other programs than you set up years ago. A short lookup for the folder names in your picture was leading me to the Microsoft forum: Unable to delete OICE folders from Temp folder
    As you can see they belong to MS Outlook.

Nevermind. From time to time I clear my %temp% folder manually (type %temp% into the search box and hit Enter to let the folder open in an Explorer window). Also you can clear it with a simple script like Batch.

.bat
    Code:
    @echo off &setlocal
    :: try to change the working directory, quit the batch process in case it fails
    cd /d "%temp%" || exit /b
    :: enumerate all sub folders and try to remove them
    for /f "delims=" %%i in ('dir /ad /b') do rd /s /q "%%i"
    :: try to delete all files
    del /f /q *
    pause
    Regards
    GermanOne

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I appreciate that.

9. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

This really hits home. I guess I am like everyone in that I have tried so many cleaners that I can't count them all. I have liked a number of them, especially CCleaner (and Ashampoo WinOptimizer). Still my favorite feature in a cleaner is CCleaner's dialog for selecting locations for removing fast growing logs or memory.dmp and so on. I used this to remove errors from Office Outlook 2007 back when I was importing mail. These errors would pile up and each one was stored in one of the Outlook folders. Unable to find the answer for the problem (I think it was a syncing issue), I went after the files with CCleaner on a regular schedule. I honestly think there could be a pretty good discussion on a message board that was dedicated only to that one feature of CCleaner lol.

Imagine if someone were paying $100 to techs for every gigabyte that they could remove from PCs during cleaning. memory.dmp would be a gold mine. I bet that file is on 50% or more of PCs and it's always huge...:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds