Windows 10 Release Week Is Here

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

There has been a fair amount of confusion as to when, how and who gets Windows 10 when it releases tonight. Tuesday night, July 28th at Midnight, Microsoft officially releases Windows 10. We know the software will roll out in various stages starting with Windows Insiders and then moving to preorders. The whole idea is to make sure that everything goes smoothly by being able to address any issues with the release early on if any problems are reported by Insiders.

Read more @ http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/windows_10_release_week_is_here_what_to_expect.html

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I installed Win10 from a dvd just to take a look, but I'm not planning to change over from Windows 7. Anyone know if I will be able to reuse the image I have for Windows 10 after the rollout date?

I tried the upgrade with the disk, but it kept stalling and then it would stop with some error, so I just did a clean install finally. I remember using the evaluation key that was there on the download page to complete the installation...

Lots of questions about this rollout, since the upgrade is completely free and all. I guess there will be a ton of attention to details this time. I wonder if MS will allow for a dual boot W10/W7 where the user gets to keep the validation status of the W7 installation (or maybe 7 or 10 in a VM?)...

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you upgrade at least once, you can reinstall it cleanly in the future.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Anybody 100% sure that everything will work OK after the Windows 10 upgrade?

If not, be sure to make a full system backup before proceeding! (No, I don't think a System Restore Point will do in case of a failure.)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is no way to be certain, but the update process is the best one so far.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Too true! I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to the insider preview a while ago without any issues at all, but some time later when 10 tried to update itself to a new build, it hung part way through. Without an image of 8.1 I would have lost my laptop.

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I just got my notification that my upgrade is ready.

I believe I will wait a couple of weeks at least and see how everything goes.

I will definitely create a full system backup before hand.

8. Earthling

Congratulations Laura! Not a sausage here and I was starting to get a distinct anti-climax feeling about it all ;)

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

What? you poor man...rolleyes
    I got Smoked Warthog Cheese Grillers... and I'll wait before I upgrade to Windows 10.
    And I know LauraR is licking her lips... No wild piggy for you lady... :cry

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

11. Earthling

So will I I guess - not that I have any choice at present - but when I temporarily upgraded this laptop to insider preview all went well so it isn't just caution, I actually like 8.1 and don't think that upgrading is offering me anything I don't have right now. Be more interested to see how it goes on my Windows phone.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  12. LauraR

Well, its only been half a day, but things I've seen so far on searches have been promising. The problems seem to occur for people who don't upgrade through the desktop notification as far as activation. I may just go for it in a few days.

I found this review for anyone interested: Windows 10: The Gizmodo Review Days 3 and 4 were pretty amusing looking. LOL

Me too. I have a Windows 8 phone and am looking forward to the upgrade there.

13. tleewade

tleewade Private E-2

i am going to leave on my 2 machines on until they download the upgrade day and night wont hurt will it?

14. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

i downloaded the windows 10 iso and burned it to a dvd (for future reinstalls). :)
    but i'm skiddish about installing it right now since i don't want to take a chance with activating it with my windows 7 product key (since i usually do clean installs).
    since i'm kinda wanting to try windows 10 on my gaming pc but i don't want to do anything thats illegal.

15. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

@tleewade If they are desktops so longs you have got adequate cooling and your temps are not high then you can leave your machines running 24/7 without any problems. I have been told it's safer to leave them running then turn on/off all the time.

Mine has been running constantly for 2 years now without switching off and had no problems just reboot once a week to refresh the memory and system.

16. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, just finished upgrading to windows 10 (from 8.1) on my main computer. Took about 30-40 minutes to complete. Only issue I'm having is that it isn't activated. But, I took the forced route since it wasn't available.

Also, upgraded my work laptop to Windows 10 (forced method since it was on a domain, and it activated fine). Later I'll update it to Enterprise.

Posting this from Edge.

Update: Read that you simply have to keep hitting the Activate button over and over again, till it gets activated. Took about 15 tries or so.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  17. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Okay,
    I completely forgot about reserving my copy of Windows 10, saw this thread and clicked the app in my notification bar. Went through and it said "That's all you have to do you will get emails notifying you when your install is ready"

With that being said did I get my copy?

18. LauraR

When its ready you will get another notification saying 'Your free Windows 10 upgrade is here!'. You may have to wait since they are gradually rolling it out.

19. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Thanks Laura,
    Do you know if there is a time frame to reserve a copy from that app?

20. LauraR

They don't have a time frame other than any time now up to a few weeks.

It'll come. I think people are forcing the upgrade, but they are the ones having issues with activation.

21. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I used the link here at MG's to download both versions of the media creation tool for W10 and upgraded my 8.1 Pro machine to W10 Pro. Boy, am I glad I imaged my drive last night. I had my title bar text set to bold and I can't get that back. We were supposed to be able to change settings for Windows Update in the Pro version but, once again, Windows Update doesn't show up in Control Panel.

If/when we need to do a fresh install of W10 from the DVD, which Product Key should we use? The W8.1 key or the one published in the MG's download link?

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows Update is under Settings.

23. mdonah

The only thing I can change is "Notify to Restart". I can't set WU to notify but let me choose. I also can't check for updates manually which I like to do. I put the items I'm not pleased about in Feedback and sent it in. It changed my Title bar text, my mouse pointer and got rid of my Classic Shell.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Choose advanced settings where you can defer them. If you cannot, then you don't have 10 Pro.

MS said nothing about picking and choosing but if you need to block them,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

As for the text, MS changed the UI, I am not sure why you expected them not to. Classic Shell would have been removed if it wasn't safe for updating and I'm certain it is not. Reinstall it if you need to, assuming they have a version compatible with Windows 10.

All of your issues so far have been discussed on the Internet for over a year, so if you were caught off guard, it was due to lack of research.

This of course doesn't mean these items will not change in the future. Windows 10 is now a rolling release and will evolve over time.

25. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I'll definitely update my laptop to Windows 10, although I need to upgrade to an SSD first, and also purchase a new battery. Saving up for those two items should give Nvidia just enough time to debug any graphics driver issues so my laptop is game-ready when I install the new Windows! It usually takes a few months for Nvidia to work out all the kinks, especially with a new OS. How are benchmarks so far? Is Windows 10 a clear leader yet with DX10/11 vs. Windows 7/8.1?

26. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

Hi. Got my copy of Win 10 downloaded into my little machine. Have an older Dell Optiplex 755 with 2GB ram is all. Loaded smmooooothly. Works perfect. Was an upgrade from Win 7. Just wanted to encourage you!

27. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Attached Files:

28. dustyblu

dustyblu Private E-2

After reading da scary stuff (and, let's face it, that's all Windows ever has) I'm seriously considering doing away with it altogether. Which means a switch to Linux, and since I'm barely more than a button pusher with Windows, what would be the best course of action (place to go, book to read, whatever) to get up to speed with Linux as an OS, and (this might show my ignorance) is it possible to run both on the same system?

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hello,

If you wish to discuss GNU/Linux, please start a relevant thread.

30. LauraR

31. theefool

theefool Geekified

Windows 10 gave my work laptop without an SSD faster rebooting. Better than it was with windows 8.1. It use to take forever to reboot.

32. theefool

theefool Geekified

Not very relevant, but during the upgrade where you have the circle upgrade, I did the typical shift+F10 and noticed that that upgrade used a windows 7 task manager (during the copying phase), but after an auto reboot, it switched to a windows 8 type task manager. I just find it interesting that they did this with a windows 7 boot loader, but that kinda makes sense since they allow upgrading from windows 7, I guess. I can post proof pictures if need be.

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They use WinPE. I doubt its been updated from its original form which was Windows 7 based I believe.

34. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

2 Laptops 1 Netbook 1 Surface Pro and my Main desktop all upgraded perfectly, admittedly one laptop and the netbook where on the betas from last year.

But difference from Win 8.1 is negligible apart from the fudged Start menu, its ok but its still if you wanted a Win XP menu a hierarchic tree of a menu to get to an app. Loads I love about 10 though and the Start menu is one as its a combination, works really well on my Surface tablet.

My mum loves Windows 10 but then I did use her as a tester and installed 10 early betas on the laptop I gave her.... evil son!

35. mdonah

Actually, it was Windows Vista based. I've used WAIK to create bootable media in Vista. A later version came with a supplement for Win 7 SP1. The latest versions use WDK which is Win 8 based.

36. Earthling

I reckon there must be a definite US bias in offering 10. I've been an insider for months but not one of the systems here (UK) that has the GWX icon has yet been offered the upgrade. Not that I'm that bothered as I doubt I'll install it any time soon even when it is. Don't like being at the back of the queue though :mad

37. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Your backup may do you little good. Unless you buy another Windows license. I am waiting for more information on going back to Win 7 if you hate 10 after 6 months.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/windows-10-revert-os,news-50897.html

38. LauraR

The update does nothing to the manufacturer's recovery partition, so I wasn't really that worried about that. I figured I could revert back to factory and then use my backup.

It doesn't matter though, since I just decided to do the update this morning. I couldn't wait any longer. :-D It was about as painless as installing an updated version of a piece of software...not at all. I was shocked at how easy it was. Everything is working perfectly. I did not do a full backup. I just made sure all my things I didn't want to lose were backed up.

So, I am now running Windows 10. Basically if you are already on Windows 8.1, there's really not much of a difference.

I use Cortana on my Windows phone already and have been for a year, so even that doesn't feel new to me. I prefer the new start menu as apposed to the Metro screen I never used and didn't even boot to.

39. Earthling

This is what I was trying to get at here. I want to be absolutely certain that if I want to I would be able to revert to 7 or 8.1 (I have both) before going ahead with this.

There can't be much doubt that after years of creating and pushing new versions of Windows that Microsoft is now looking with concern at the huge ongoing cost of maintaining them. Getting everyone onto one version so as to reduce costs in the face of falling revenues is imo the primary aim of Win 10 and I for one am definitely holding back for the time being and awaiting developments. Heck, it doesn't really have anything to offer that 8.1 doesn't have.

40. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There shouldn't be any US bias. The first upgrades were outside the US when it was still the 28th here.

41. Earthling

Maybe it's just following the sun then ;)

42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why not just use the upgrade/iso tool?

43. Earthling

As I said, I'm in no hurry but don't like being at the back of the queue either ;)

44. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I reserved Win10 for both my Win7 and Win8.1 when it was first made available to me but have not received notice that it is available for updating. I am not in a hurry anyway. I have friends and family that have already updated without problems. At least so far.;)

45. mdonah

I live in the US. I've got two copies reserved — an x86 and an x64 both from Win 8.1 Pro. I still havent received my letter for either. Like you though, I'm in no hurry to install. I had done the upgrade from the ISO I made with the media creation tool and restored from my backup image within an hour.

46. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

None of my machines received emails. I just checked the icon and it was ready.

47. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I upgraded to 10 and well i have had a couple of issues.

I did not do a clean install instead i just clicked to ''upgrade'' it kept all my installations and programs and some prefrences most of the programs seem to work fine without reinstalling.

However there are some that are broken not working or buggy.

For example my Nexus dock causes lots of freezes in the windows explorer in fact everytime it loads it makes windows explorer freeze its so bad i had to unistall it.

If someone knows of a different dock like Nexus that isn't problematic in windows 10 id appreciate it.

My integrated speakers driver doesn't work now i was using realtek's ac 97 audio drivers now its broken.

I could have sworn i heard ''better'' support and boot times left and right on windows 10 using a SSD. Well i went from 7>10 and boot times are much worse using my ssd in fact it probably takes as much as a normal hard drive to boot and i was booting into windows in windows 7 within 15 seconds now it takes about 35..

There was a lot of trash i had to disable and opt out of because even though i did a custom installation it manually picked other privacy settings etc..

One thing is for sure i currently hate the automatic updates , i wish i had a choice to opt out entirely even for security updates. I hardly did any updates on some windows 7 machines i had and honestly i rarely got a nasty infection or anything relating to it.

I hope a 3rd party software developer makes an app where it can block windows updates entirely this seems to cause more problems than its worth.

48. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

My thoughts exactly.
    Try a 3rd party firewall to block Windows connecting to Microsoft updates.

49. Earthling

If that's your view then imo you should not upgrade to 10 at all. The stated intention is that the entire future of Windows will be delivered through Windows Update so you would only be able to avoid that for a limited time. Both 7 and 8.1 will be supported for many years yet, and they both give you the choice you say you want. Seems like you just have 30 days to decide whether to revert or not.

50. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To add to this, ignoring Windows Update is akin to visiting a brothel without protection. Your luck will run out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds