Question about "Date Modified" on folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was recently working on a PC where the dude needed his QuickBooks stuff saved. It was very important. He told me that he had last made changes to the database on 11/03/2008. For whatever reason, we couldn't seem to find the database. So I thought "if it was updated on the 3rd, then we just look for a folder that has a 'date modified' date of November 3rd". You'd think that would work. Nope. Here's what I discovered.... the QuickBooks database (we'll call it "QB") was in a sub-folder, of a sub folder. So it would be like C:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\QB. You'd think that Folder1 would have the 'date modified' as Nov 3rd because something in one of the subfolders was modified on Nov 3. Nope. The date for "last modified" on Folder1 was March 11 2006. Folder2 was Sometime in late 2007, and Folder3 was, indeed Nov 3rd 2008. Is this normal? Each of the folders had several sub-folders (so Folder1 had Folder1, 2, 3, etc) and each sub-folder had sub-folders too. Is it normal that the parent folders do not take on the "modified" date of the most recently modified subfolder???

Am I making sense here? Is anyone but me totally lost in folders and subs and subfolders??? :confused

Anyway- we found the data, no problems. It took longer than it should have 'cuz he didn't know the exact path to the database, and he swore that it was in the QuickBooks folder in C:\Program Files. It was in F:\Data\QBPro\Received. And he didn't know the exact name of the database 'cuz he had QuickBooks set up to where he didn't need to know it. But when QuickBooks took a big ol' :crap, we had to find the data.

2. Chefdad

Chefdad Private E-2

Only the folder that you modified will take on the new date ect. Although it is a sub folder it is still a folder with it's own properties. If he had made changes to the main folder like adding a new one to it(not to the subs) or adding new info to the main one it would have changed the main one.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm.... OK.... it just seems that if you make a change to anything within a folder, even if it's in a sub-subfolder, the parent folder's properties would be affected too. It makes sense that this would happen, but I guess it doesn't. I learn something new all the time!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds