Need help for Motherboard Chipset Driver Identification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t38, Jul 3, 2005.

1. t38

t38 Private E-2

I have an AOpen MX46L motherboard with a SiS650GX chipset. I am using Windows XP Home edition. I had a problem that gave me a bluescreen and a "serious problem" warning from the operating system. I let the operating system send an error report that referred me to a SiS driver update site. The drivers there were for different series drivers than listed by AOpen for my motherboard. So I searched and found the driver updates for the SiS650GX. My problem is that two driver updates are listed for the SiS650GX using Windows XP, one for UniVGA2 (older) and one under UniVGA3. There is no SiS information on the differences. I don't know which one to use. Can anyone please give me some direction?

2. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

4. t38

t38 Private E-2

Thanks guys but I am ahead of those suggestions. I have been all over the AOpen site and have updated what they list. I am looking for a newer driver update for the SiS650GX chipset than listed by AOpen. As posted within the dialog of one of their listed drivers (5th page): Some vendors of supplied motherboard parts may have newer driver updates. Apparently SIS does and within this link you can see my problem. Two different drivers are listed for the SiS650GX series chips for XP. One under UniVGA2 and one under UniVGA3.

http://www.sis.com/download/ Highlight IGP Graphics Driver, then Sis 650 series, Windows XP and then GO.

You can then see there are two more updated drivers that list the 650 series chipset. I am trying to figure out which one I should update with. Common sense tells me that I can update safely with the slightly older UniVGA2 but if I can do the 3 I would. There is no SiS discussion of the difference or direction with the problem. A supplied FAQ listing doesn't even come close to clearing things up with the correct question phrased.

See question one on this link:

http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm

As you can see in their chart the SiS650 series are listed in two categories. I am hoping that either somebody, that knows more than I, knows the answer or where I can find it. I have posted this on the AOpen forum also. I can't find a forum for SiS. Thank you for your responses.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds